Web Design; Summer Job possibilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Design; Summer Job possibilities?

Well now that University is finished for the summer I am looking at what to do with my free time.

Is it worth to take some courses in web design and perhaps try and get some work to make some money that way? If it doesn't get me work it will at least help me in the future as I am working my way to be an Architect. I thought I'd ask because a lot of you seem to have tried everything at least once

I was thinking of trying to get into an Architects office (even if it was the mail clerk) but seeing as I am only a first year, chances are slim. It might just be back to the warehouse for me...

Any of you have any suggestions or thought about the success of web designers? Can anyone recommend somewhere to take some classes to hone my skills?

(I've made HTML basic sites for fun, but I am looking to get into flash based more advanced stuff)

Re: Web Design; Summer Job possibilities?

I think there are maybe easier ways to make money. Doing that you will be competing against people who have probably been doing it longer and finding the business is going to be a huge pain. Unless you know someone already who wants to pay you and you're sure you can deliver...
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I agree, and that is why I haven't already signed up. I did a google search for 'Web Design Calgary" and I wasn't really surprised how many results came up.

There are a few people family and friends who need one done, but at least that gets my name out there (they tell their friends who tell their friends and so on).

I could also just have a 'regular' job and do this on the side as I am sure a lot of people do, or slowly learn on my own and mess around with it just for fun.

Comment

take spring courses, thats how I avoid the real world.

Comment

Ok, i've only been out of school for couple of years.. looking back, i keep wondering why the hell did i work during those lovely loooong summer breaks..

truth is, once you are out of school.. that's it.. you get 2 -3 weeks off at most. You will never get a chance to do nothing for 2-3 months!

I'd say screw everything and play and do nothing summer job/internship is nice and all but it's not like you are gonna have hard time finding work in this city

BUT if you are looking for some web work, send me a PM... i know some people who could use some help for cheap
          Stage 0
          2001.5 Audi S4
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LiQuus View Post
            Ok, i've only been out of school for couple of years.. looking back, i keep wondering why the hell did i work during those lovely loooong summer breaks..

truth is, once you are out of school.. that's it.. you get 2 -3 weeks off at most. You will never get a chance to do nothing for 2-3 months!

I'd say screw everything and play and do nothing summer job/internship is nice and all but it's not like you are gonna have hard time finding work in this city

BUT if you are looking for some web work, send me a PM... i know some people who could use some help for cheap
            Wait, so you claim to be overpaid IT guy and youve only been out of school for a couple years?

Damn man, where do you work?!
            REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
            -james

Comment

IT consulting but i'm getting out of it... Too much work
              Stage 0
              2001.5 Audi S4
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X