Thinking about a small car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking about a small car

I love the looks of the new Accent but know next to nothing about how good a vehicle they are. Definitely the best looking econo-compact available right now IMO.
    Yuval
    2008 Volvo C30 T5

Comment

Yaris.
      Team Highschool
      Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Kinda off topic, but if the Toyota IQ concept car makes it into production, im sure it will give the Smart a good run for its money.
        Tint sucks

Comment

Originally posted by uv23 View Post
          I love the looks of the new Accent but know next to nothing about how good a vehicle they are. Definitely the best looking econo-compact available right now IMO.
          Serious?
          2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

If the concept had made production I'd have one now. (see attached)

Current isn't bad, but from sheer looks it's still one of the better ones.
            Attached Files
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Had a look and a Versa is only slightly more than the wave and still good financing (.9).

I looked at the civics but they are 3.9 I believe. And yes, I have a HELOC but can guarantee that the interest rate is more than .9. A Nissan would probably be a better investment than the wave especially with it being so close in price.

Thanks for all the input everyone, cars like the Versa and Astra I had totally forgot about.

One thing I found interesting is pretty well all the small cars that were mentioned in this thread are Canada only, they aren't in the US and they are selling like crazy, funny how VW still doesn't want to introduce a small car.
              Jay

Comment

Most people buying civics lease them. The lease rate is better than the finance rate. Very low monthly payment due to rate and hi residual.

A while back I thought of leasing and Si coupe at 1.5% for 60 months for 300 a month. You can buy it out any time, give it back, do whatever. I didn't do it and rates went up slightly since.

Comment

Yeah leasing can be good, again your depreciation on a new domestic car might be severe so a lease on a better car like a Honda or Toyota at a low rate and then a buy out later might put you ahead.
                  Last edited by Kor; 04-24-2008, 10:04 AM.
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
                    Had a look and a Versa is only slightly more than the wave and still good financing (.9).

I looked at the civics but they are 3.9 I believe. And yes, I have a HELOC but can guarantee that the interest rate is more than .9. A Nissan would probably be a better investment than the wave especially with it being so close in price.

Thanks for all the input everyone, cars like the Versa and Astra I had totally forgot about.

One thing I found interesting is pretty well all the small cars that were mentioned in this thread are Canada only, they aren't in the US and they are selling like crazy, funny how VW still doesn't want to introduce a small car.
                    Canada has always had a higher hatchback market. Things may start to change with the rising prices of fuel. Im pretty sure the city golf is VW response. I don't know if you can find those in the states as they arent listed on VW america website.

Comment

Buying a small car is a good considering analysts are predicitng that gas prices will hit $2.25/L by 2012.
                      Tint sucks

Comment

yea gas was at 1.25 on the ride home tonight at some stations still 114 in airdrie.. sigh!! i really hate the world over the last few years its going to **** so bad

Comment

I have even been reading that we might be seeing 1.40 for the summer time this year. I am looking into small cars as well as I think the next year will see me picking one up too, and really I think the choices are fairly poor at the moment. I am not sure if you are just looking at price or economy or features but it is hard to get them all. The Smart as you mentioned is not so cheap and the new gas mileage is not the best, and highway stability is an option, you could look for a used CDI but I think the prices are staying fairly strong now.

The Fit is a very popular choice but for me I just am not found of the look and it is still not that cheap, there is a re-design for 2009 with the car getting slightly bigger. The Yaris is a popular choice too, a little cheaper good mileage, interior leaves a bit to be desired. Not too familiar with the Versa, the Accent looks pretty nice, had some experience with the previous Gen and it was not bad for the price, but a basic cheap car.

The Mini Cooper is a bit more money (25K), but is pretty well equipped and actually gets very good mileage and might be better from the depreciation standpoint. I think Scion's from the US are still a good buy and I am still considering a used xB, can be had for 12-15US low mileage, practical, good mileage a little more unique.

If you are just looking for a basic driver I would seriously look at leasing, and then you will help take out some of the long term issues with the car and it maybe better to look into a high mileage lease too, if you are doing a lot of highway driving and then in 3-5 years time just toss them the keys. And as Geoff mentioned the eco-rebate is gone now, something removed from teh last budget very under the radar.

Just some small car mutterings, and I am driving a clubman tonight so we will see what i think!
                          Blair
                          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Agree with almost everything Blair said

One thing you could keep in mind is the aftermarket, as always. If you can get a smoking deal on a hyundai or fit or versa or yaris but don't like just one thing about it, like the look or the interior... just blow a grand on it right away if you can afford it, make it a unique car. On the inside, some mats, seats, steering wheel, shift knob, or even some ICE can make a so-so interior pretty sweet. On the outside, some wheels can make a so-so car look pretty hot right? I'm sure you could make a very cool Accent with some wheels, a speaker/deck stereo package, etc.
                            Last edited by Kor; 04-25-2008, 09:49 AM.
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                              I have even been reading that we might be seeing 1.40 for the summer time this year. I am looking into small cars as well as I think the next year will see me picking one up too, and really I think the choices are fairly poor at the moment. I am not sure if you are just looking at price or economy or features but it is hard to get them all. The Smart as you mentioned is not so cheap and the new gas mileage is not the best, and highway stability is an option, you could look for a used CDI but I think the prices are staying fairly strong now.

The Fit is a very popular choice but for me I just am not found of the look and it is still not that cheap, there is a re-design for 2009 with the car getting slightly bigger. The Yaris is a popular choice too, a little cheaper good mileage, interior leaves a bit to be desired. Not too familiar with the Versa, the Accent looks pretty nice, had some experience with the previous Gen and it was not bad for the price, but a basic cheap car.

The Mini Cooper is a bit more money (25K), but is pretty well equipped and actually gets very good mileage and might be better from the depreciation standpoint. I think Scion's from the US are still a good buy and I am still considering a used xB, can be had for 12-15US low mileage, practical, good mileage a little more unique.

If you are just looking for a basic driver I would seriously look at leasing, and then you will help take out some of the long term issues with the car and it maybe better to look into a high mileage lease too, if you are doing a lot of highway driving and then in 3-5 years time just toss them the keys. And as Geoff mentioned the eco-rebate is gone now, something removed from teh last budget very under the radar.

Just some small car mutterings, and I am driving a clubman tonight so we will see what i think!
                              I was checking out the minis and the website still says they are giving 1k rebates?

http://www.mini.ca/content/showroom/...e/default.aspx

http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/environ...ligibility.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                                yea gas was at 1.25 on the ride home tonight at some stations still 114 in airdrie.. sigh!! i really hate the world over the last few years its going to **** so bad

The news makes things seem a little worse then they are.

Comment

Working...
                                X