Mountain Bike Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Bike Question

I've been out of the mountain bike scene for a bit, but would like to get back in. I have a Marin with front suspension but want to look at something that has full suspension with disc brakes. What would everyone suggest for soewhere around the $1000 mark? I can't justify a $3-4K ride at this point.

Thanks.

Re: Mountain Bike Question

it'll be hard to find a new full suspension bike for $1000, you can look on pinkbike.com they have alot of used bikes that can be had for that price.

Comment

Hardtail for 1500 or less. Add 400 bucks for the RS. Otherwise you're just taking money from components to pay for the RS.

Might find some clearance deals on 07 FS bikes for around 1700 or so.
      Geoff
      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

07 Kona Dawg FS on sale for 999 from 1899 at Bow Cycle - looks like there's a few other super deals as well. Unknown what sizes though.

This sat: http://www.bowcycle.com/bc08/blue_light/index.shtml
        Geoff
        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

that dawg is a solid bike. sort of xc/all mountain. they are a little heavy, but overall, a pretty nice bike. the kikapu on there is nearly the same bike, but with less travel in the suspension, it more a strait xc bike. The kikapu deluxe on there would have the best components of the 3 konas on sale, but still less travel as it is an xc bike.
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I'd go pinkbike for a used gooder. Just make sure you really check it out first, if it back in Nov-Dec I could've sold you my super8 I let go of on pinkbike for $1200. It was a downhill monster! Search for a while you will enventually get lucky.
            2002 996TT
            2011 S5
            2004 S4 Avant

Comment

I just sold my hardtail tonight finally!

Went to a good home though

Comment

the bowcycle classified have good bikes too, but not many on there right now.

I almost bought a full suspension bike this month.. but decided to keep my hard tail since realistically, I won't get out much with a little one in the house.

I am going to try this out though:
                http://www.skookumcycle.com/saltydog/saltydog.htm#entry
                Last edited by stefan; 03-27-2008, 09:36 PM.
                Stefan
                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Yeah you will need something used if you only want to spend 1000. Im have been pretty heavy into riding my hole life. If your pretty hard on your bikes like i am, a new full suspension bike for 1000 isent going to last long. Trust me iv been through a few. I would go used if your on that tight of a budget.
                  I spend 1500 just on my hard tail. Use to have a Kona Stinky delux full suspension and it was 2300 new. If you can fork out the money its totally worth it. Or try to find a good deal used. Take a trip down to bow cycle and try a bunch of bikes out around the block.
                  sigpic

Comment

Agreed with shopping at Bow Cycle, I bought my wife's bike from there last year and have spent lots there over the years.

Beating a dead horse here but if you spend a little more (say 1500) you could pick up a decent F/S bike if you watch the sales. Last year Bow and a crazy deal on a 2 year old F/S kona for about 1400 I believe, full disc brakes, good componentry etc. It was a really good deal, I came really close to buying it.

I had (well still have it but it's old technology now) a full suspension TREK full carbon bike with lightweight aluminum rear triangle blah blah blah and still got beat on the downhills, and because it was full suspension (and me being out of shape I suppose haha) I got killed on the uphills. All that to say unless I got an amazing deal on a F/S bike I'd probably just get a hardtail.
                    Jay

Comment

what kind of riding do you do? Don't cheap out on f/s if you do trail riding involving a lot of climbing. Well, don't cheap out for down hill either.. I guess its more knowing what you will do with the bike, and just spend money in the right places. Big d/h won't climb worth ****, Straight x/c doesn't have the travel for aggressive downhill, but makes climbing a lot easier. All mountain is somewhere in between,. The wrong rear suspension is hard to keep from bobbing up and down when you are in to a hard climb, if thats what you ride.
                      I rode an 05 Kona Dawg and an 07 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite last weekend (both in the fairly "all mountain"). Out of those 2, the SJ won hands down. Mostly because it had a pretty good rear shock and a lighter frame. Made the climbs a lot easier. The Dawg was good to, but a little less XC and a little more all mountain. The suspension was nice, but you loose a bit more power going uphill because of the cheaper shock. Dawg was a lot heavier, but it is a tough frame.

My own bike is just a specialized hardrock hard tail with an upgraded fork. It will do for now....
                      Last edited by stefan; 03-28-2008, 09:23 AM.
                      Stefan
                      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Thanks everyone for their input. I still love my hardtail Marin and plan to keep it. As I guessed, $1000 doesn't go far, and I will most likely look at something used that will be couple of years old, but is of the quality I'm going to be look for.

I think I'm looking for something with a lot of suspension travel that will mainly be used on flatter or downhill terrain. If I know there is going to be lots of hills, I'll take the Marin.

Thansk again for everyone's suggestions.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                        X