Web Hosting Company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Hosting Company?

Any one have personal experiences with web hosting companies? I'm looking to host a few smaller sites with myslq databases (small) ... any recommendations?

Things I'm looking for:
    1) host at least 5 domains (prefer unlimited)
    2) unlimited sub domains
    3) linux/unix
    4) pop3 email
    5) mysql (at least5 - prefer unlimited)
    6) I'm not expecting a huge amount of traffic or large requirement for hosting space.

I've heard a few things about godaddy, dreamhost, 1and1, ixwebhosting, knownhost but some love them and some hate them... any advice would be appreciated!

Oh - and I'm broke so I'm looking $7 and under a month and don't want to sign any long-term contracts. I want to pay by month or up to 6 month term (1 year if I absolutely have to).
    Last edited by B Dubbin; 02-28-2008, 08:26 PM.
    Brandon

Re: Web Hosting Company?

steadfast.net
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

godaddy was SO cheap for me... I think like 20 bucks for the year or something? Insane. I had to try it. Been fine so far.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

$20 for the year? That must have been a one year special?

And steadfast.net... http://steadfast.net/forum/showthread.php?t=574 - looks pretty good! One of my concerns was that I'd end up signing up with some 14 year old kid! bart - any reasons you specifically like steadfast.net?

Thanks so far!
        Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by B Dubbin View Post
          $20 for the year? That must have been a one year special?

And steadfast.net... http://steadfast.net/forum/showthread.php?t=574 - looks pretty good! One of my concerns was that I'd end up signing up with some 14 year old kid! bart - any reasons you specifically like steadfast.net?

Thanks so far!
          Yup it was just over $1 per month. Before I had godaddy, I had dreamhost for a year and I think it was $1 even, but then when I went to renew it after the first year special offer, it was wayyyy more money. Waiting for the specials is worth it I think. Another one that sometimes has specials that are super cheap is 1&1
          Last edited by Kor; 02-28-2008, 10:18 PM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I use 1and1, no complaints.
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

1and1 is too big, their customer service is in pakistan. wait time is like 3-5 days if your server goes down uhhhhh

steadfast is a nice size, with pretty good support. they're not resellers, they own everything themselves.
              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Yeah I don't need 100% uptime but godaddy has never been down that I have noticed, and I check every day. Dreamhost used to go down once and a while.

If I had bigger needs than a very simple low traffic php website, I would not go with godaddy. For example if I was to run a web app or a business I would probably pick someone more reliable.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Who's Yossef Maivar? I looked up who hosts steadfast.net and that's what came up.
                  I'm still undecided... thanks for all the comments so far...
                  Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by B Dubbin View Post
                    Who's Yossef Maivar? I looked up who hosts steadfast.net and that's what came up.
                    I'm still undecided... thanks for all the comments so far...
                    Probably the owner of the company? Dunno what that has to do with anything.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                      Probably the owner of the company? Dunno what that has to do with anything.
                      For me, if the company is a web hosting company, it would only make sense that the company it uses to host it's own website would be itself (did that even make sense?) The more transparent the better. Maybe he is the owner, I don't know.

This helps me eliminate re-sellers and potential fake sites.

http://whoishostingthis.com

Right this minute I'm evaluating http://www.ixwebhosting.com - seems pretty good so far but has anyone else have experience with them?
                      Brandon

Comment

you're not too bright are you?

first: "hosted by" means just what is says, not owned by.

second, the site is garbage because i know steadfast is owned by Karl Zimmerman, second, i typed in the url for my site and it says its hosted by some hosting company i never heard of, which is not true.
                        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by bart View Post
                          you're not too bright are you?
                          Actually I'm very bright. I just don't know a lot about webhosting and am trying to learn.

I never said http://whoishostingthis.com was competely accurate in fact they state it themselves in their own blog section. I just said it was a tool I was using to help me.

good bye.
                          Brandon

Comment

ok well next time use a real whois tool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois
                            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Go Daddy has a hot spokeswoman.

Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                              You dig sucka?!

Comment

Working...
                              X