Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are people thinking?

Originally posted by GoNzO View Post
    I am starting this tread to basically get some info on "what are people thinking".

I work in the ER. I have been doing that for 8 years now. I hear people complain all the time on wait times, lazy staff, etc.

Than again I am stupid for picking this profession. I do enjoy the human body and helping others....that soft side fades very quick and general population cant figure it out. GO FIGURE!
    I could go on for hours with you about some of this ****. I'd just like to say, lots of people don't think the hospital is full of lazy staff, don't let it get you jaded. Without people like you we'd all be fucked. Although, I have been in the hospital for 8 hours with a dislocated shoulder, and I probably wasn't the most pleasant person to deal with. Just remember, you see people at their absolute worst, and they are only human. While it may seem like many don't appreciate it, they probably do. My girlfriend is in school to be a nurse, and I have just completed my emr course, with plans to take emt in the fall and possibly paramedic eventually. The reason these industries are short staffed is A) the alberta college of paramedics. This place has prevented so many competant people from ever working in the field due to, fucked up testing that follows no protocol, with a constantly varying curriculum with no notices whatsoever, and no properly standardized curriculum or testing. **** ACP!!!!
    B) for nursing, my girlfriend is trapped in lethbridge. The varying method of instruction do not allow her to transfer back to Edmonton....With countless scholarships, and a 3.8gpa. Although this doesn't affect her overly(re:rich parents who can pay for her to live away from home/pay for tuition)
    Imagine you are a 18yo trying to live away from home, working to pay for rent, tuition and generally living. It could easily discourage qualified individuals, when simply transfering could save them from having to leave the program.
    Basically, in a nutshell, My girlfriend is 500kms away, and I have to pay 600 dollars just to write a test, that likely was written based on a different curriculum, even after I had a fucking 90% in my course before I am allowed to work, or pay 200 bucks to be temporarily issued a peice of paper to work until the next exam.
    ****!!!! If they want more people to work in the industry, accomadate the students!!!! We need it, and they need it.

Comment

I agree with you.

If your lasy is one day in need of a preceptor let me know. I did my schooling in Lethbridge. Have to say its a terrible school. I was under the old system and was actually taught by an instructor. Most have never worked in a hospital before so they were not much use. Now they do this self learning crap. When it comes time to graduate they have very littel skills and are of not much use. I feel bad for them cause most preceptors ride them hard. With the amount of papers they write they can sure tell you stats but hands on skills are next to useless.
      As for EMR/EMT/EMT-P. One of my very close friends and coworkers is a paramedic. He just finished his nursing last year. He also worked for SAIT as an instructor and now is with NAIT due to NAIT outbidding SAIT or some crap like that. His pay as been cut in half because of this. He is always doing courses down here in Southern Alberta. In fact I just sat in on one of his paramedic courses here. I feel bad for them cause its boring school. Testing is very tough, and the instructors are encouraged to fail people(seems that way at least). 2 of the paramedics I work with do testing. 1 is easier then the other. The woman LOVES to fail people and I have worked with her when she is grading things. She loves the color red and big "x's". Now I have had paramedic students in the ER. I always try and make it plesant for them. I am one who remebers what its like to be at the bottom of the pole and feel like I know nothing. No matter how much book knowledge you may have nothing beats actually doing it.
      Continue on and get your paramedic. Opens a huge amount of doors. Forestry pays $500/day and you usually just ride the chopper cause there is nothing else to do. Also the mining area is big on taking paramedics. Not the best for family life but its good quick cash.
      If your old lady needs any advise PM me. I know a few of the instructors very well at the school.

Comment

Originally posted by 95rado View Post
        I could go on for hours with you about some of this ****. I'd just like to say, lots of people don't think the hospital is full of lazy staff, don't let it get you jaded. Without people like you we'd all be fucked. Although, I have been in the hospital for 8 hours with a dislocated shoulder, and I probably wasn't the most pleasant person to deal with. Just remember, you see people at their absolute worst, and they are only human. While it may seem like many don't appreciate it, they probably do. My girlfriend is in school to be a nurse, and I have just completed my emr course, with plans to take emt in the fall and possibly paramedic eventually. The reason these industries are short staffed is A) the alberta college of paramedics. This place has prevented so many competant people from ever working in the field due to, fucked up testing that follows no protocol, with a constantly varying curriculum with no notices whatsoever, and no properly standardized curriculum or testing. **** ACP!!!!
        B) for nursing, my girlfriend is trapped in lethbridge. The varying method of instruction do not allow her to transfer back to Edmonton....With countless scholarships, and a 3.8gpa. Although this doesn't affect her overly(re:rich parents who can pay for her to live away from home/pay for tuition)
        Imagine you are a 18yo trying to live away from home, working to pay for rent, tuition and generally living. It could easily discourage qualified individuals, when simply transfering could save them from having to leave the program.
        Basically, in a nutshell, My girlfriend is 500kms away, and I have to pay 600 dollars just to write a test, that likely was written based on a different curriculum, even after I had a fucking 90% in my course before I am allowed to work, or pay 200 bucks to be temporarily issued a peice of paper to work until the next exam.
        ****!!!! If they want more people to work in the industry, accomadate the students!!!! We need it, and they need it.

why didn't she just start school here?

Comment

3.6gpa for gmac entry,3.3 for lethbridge. She used to be in buisness, dropped out, and didn't get the mark to get in here because she hated it. No ones fault but hers, but now she is top of her class and likely will not be able to transfer anyways.

Comment

interesting. How come people have no issues transferring from gmac to the u of a? just curious

Comment

Working...
            X