X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So what did everyone get for xmas?

Originally posted by GoNzO View Post
    TOMTOM GO 720 for the car.
    I bought that for my step dad, you like it?
    Simon

Comment

Its right on. Meaning it is perfect at matching locations to your actual position. Other then that I havent used it much. This thing is good for finding a quick route, main arteries, but not so good at allowing you to plan your own trip using the roads you want to. I havent been able to make a good trip plan yet and seem to make the machine get confused. Some have complained the map for the USA and Canada isnt very good. I can say I used it to travel to Calgary the other day(Lethbridge-Calgary airport) passing through Vulcan and it showed every little single lane dirt road I came across. I will be using it to the Okanagan next week and will check the accuracy of that.

Comment

The nice thing with today's gps is the ease of updating maps as they become available.

Comment

That is true. You can update anytime but at a cost. For TOMTOM its $120 for the USA/Canadian map. They think you should update every year. That gets pricey!.
          I figured out how to use the thing planning a trip. You have to know every little town on the way. Plus another thing I noticed is after Golden BC the trans Canada highway just stops. It wants you to take a 800km detour. Now I know the road is there...just TOMTOM doesnt. So I will check this coming week to see if it learns the route itself and makes the correction.

Comment

We had the same highway problem with our TOMTOM west of Golden. "Corrupt mapping software" was the story, took it back and exchanged, number 2 did the same thing.

Took number 2 back, and got a Garmin Nuvi instead, and love it. Plus it came with a free map update, and it had two things of note:
            1) The new bridge and route just before Golden on the transcanada.
            2) Our new street and such in Sagewood, plus the new intersection at the north end of town to get on the highway. (all less than a year old).

That all being said, my boss has the go 720 and loves it, no torubles with his software.

Comment

Working...
            X