To paint, to keep; No more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To paint, to keep; No more

I bought this 20th front from some guy on vwvortex.com and when I got it i was pretty happy, but now im a little dissapointed. The paint does not match like it should, its a rough texture and some is missing. I was wondering where the cheapest place to paint would be and if it would be worth it, or if I should just sell it and fine a different one. It looks good but I may have OCD when it comes to small things like this. Here are some pictues:

Sorry it's a bit durrrrty.

Here's where the paint is coming off.

Notice the color difference
    Last edited by calgarydub; 12-12-2007, 01:16 AM.

Re: To paint, to keep; No more

Ride it out till summer and then get it re-painted. No use in painting it now and having it get full of rock chips.

A good body shop should be able to match up the paint nicely and smooth out that roughness. Shouldnt cost much.
    Tint sucks

Comment

Thanks. That's what I think I'm going to do. I posted on the vortex aswell, my username on there is CanadianVdub. Now I need to figure sideskirts and if a colormatch rear valence will work with the 20th front/ whatever sideskirts I decide on.

Comment

shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks to fix...but why the HELL did the origianl owner not strip the old color off before painting? It's a 15 minute job...and I bet that is what's causing the roughness you speak of.
        Kyle
        2000 Audi S4

Comment

yea for sure kyle.. yea rock it (literally) over the winter then respray it

Comment

Repaint it in the spring, I have a friend at a body shop that did mine.
            It's not OCD, you just have standards.

Comment

Wait a sec - is that a Jazz Blue 20th resprayed silver?
              2008 Audi RS4
              2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Just the lip I believe.
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Yeah, It's just the front. I'm thinking of getting 20th replica siide skirts from a guy on the vortex (unpainted). Then when spring rolls round paint them all the RIGHT way. Anyone know of a good place to get paint done? I've never had to paint something so I guess there's a first time for everything. On a side note I just wanted to say Eurodriver's has been the best community (on the internet) that I've experienced thus far.

Oh and I almost forgot. I wanted to ask about the rear valence: 20th replica or just stay color matched? I'm not sure if the side skirts will match up with a stock rear? Any thoughts on this? Thanks a lot guys!

Comment

I was gonna start a new thread but figured my question was better in this thread since you're thinking about repainting too... Does anybody know of a body shop in Calgary that will respray the entire car? and do a quality job on it too?
                    Isaac

Instagram:@ipetersphotog
                    Then: 2000 Jetta 2.0L (2005-2012)
                    Now: 2012 Golf TDI

Comment

Yeah good thanks. A name to a reputable paint shop would be awesome. Maybe someone on here does that? You/someone you know/a shop would already have two customers!

Comment

Automation did my lip/valence and it was a dead match. Right near tunedub.
                        Geoff
                        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

I did a little searching on Beyond.ca and found that a lot of people use Screamin' Paintworks and Maranello Auto Refinishing. Any comments on either? Anymore information on Automation ? Is it "Automation paint & body" Thanks!
                          Last edited by calgarydub; 12-15-2007, 01:36 AM.

Comment

automation i believe is closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Smarty39 View Post
                              shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks to fix...but why the HELL did the origianl owner not strip the old color off before painting? It's a 15 minute job...and I bet that is what's causing the roughness you speak of.
                              15 min to sand down the original paint to the primper? You must be using a machine casue when i sanded down my lip it took a good 3 hours working with different grades of sandpaper.

I just got my car back from Screamin Paintworks and do great work there. Ive already gone to them once before and been happy both times.

I plan on doing my front bumper+front and rear valance an i got a estimate of about 700 to Sand, prime, paint the front bumper and front valance and just paint the rear valance.

It seems a bit expensive but id def take my car there again.
                              Originally posted by RedMile
                              Don't bug the receiver though, he's far to busy to help you out.
                              Originally posted by Smarty39
                              haha, thanks man...I take it you're the receiver lol?

Comment

Working...
                              X