Garage heaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage heaters?

Hey guys/gals I'm looking for a portable heater to warm my garage this winter while I do the turbo on the Jetta. Has anyone used a portable propane heater like this?

Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Re: Garage heaters?

good thread dave! i need to pick one up too to make it a bit toastier.. i was even thinking getting a little plug in electric one and leave it on for 30 mins hahaha

Comment

/\you wont get too many mods done when the electric bill comes though!!

princess auto has a couple that look pretty good. the mr heater thats posted does a good job too. just gotta vent fumes. if you have gas out to your garage, i have a buddy who is getting rid of his furnace for overhead heat.

i dont have gas. other wise i'd take it, so i'm going portable too.

this is a sweet unit but about a grand.

http://www.calcana.com/garage_why.html
      Last edited by 100%VAGitarian; 11-26-2007, 10:01 PM.
      you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

That looks deadly. My buddy has a radiant heater and it works well. Greggs distributors have radiant floor style heaters. I might get one of these.

http://www.heatershop.com/mrheater_p...r_mh125lp.html

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
        You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
          good thread dave! i need to pick one up too to make it a bit toastier.. i was even thinking getting a little plug in electric one and leave it on for 30 mins hahaha
          Ryan iIve been down the "plug in electric space heater" road. Might as well be burning your cash and standing beside it trying to keep warm.

You dig sucka?!

Comment

I use a propane heater like that but beware, you can't use it in an enclosed space or you will gas yourself. If you open doors to ventilate the area, you can use a heater like that to get it warm, then shut it off and close up, and hopefully retain the heat. Thats what I do.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Radiant heaters are the way to go for max heat. I picked up a heater that sits on top of a tank for $60 at princess auto the other day. It worked pretty good for the 10 minutes until I ran out of propane though. I do also agree that you don't need it running constantly.
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                I use a propane heater like that but beware, you can't use it in an enclosed space or you will gas yourself. If you open doors to ventilate the area, you can use a heater like that to get it warm, then shut it off and close up, and hopefully retain the heat. Thats what I do.
                Which heaters are you talking about Kris? The top tank style or the floor radiant one?

You dig sucka?!

Comment

Has anyone done any serious looking at Natural gas heaters? I have a line run up into the corner of my garage and looking to hook something up to it. Everything looks like it costs at least $1000, I was hoping to spend no more than 500. It doesn't need to be shop size, it would need to heat about 800sqft. Radiant heater are nice but are a bit more localized and seem to come in big sizes.

Ryan, I'm thinking about an electric heater too but thinking of going with a more industrial one (on sale right now for 59.00) but it's 240 which is good because it will be cheap to run but means you have to run 240 to your garage first (unless you already did in which case bonus).
                  Jay

Comment

yea no 240 for me.. LOL maybe we should just all buy those electric fireplaces and use them.. bling and heat togehter hahah

Comment

My Dad just ordered a unit like this for his garage.

Blair
                      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                        yea no 240 for me.. LOL maybe we should just all buy those electric fireplaces and use them.. bling and heat togehter hahah
                        Haha, yea, electric fireplaces are all the rage. Maybe I'll just get a tv with "faux fire" so I can pretend it's heating up.

Are you planning on running it? I'm thinking I might as a temp solution as there's a couple things I really want to get done in the garage. I figure 240 might come in handy down the road too.

Edit, Blair it looks expensive (the stained wooden box gives me that impression).
                        Last edited by Tuna; 11-29-2007, 03:35 PM.
                        Jay

Comment

I have one of these, best $600 ever spent.

Comment

The wood one was $600, shipped I believe.
                            Blair
                            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB View Post
                              I have one of these, best $600 ever spent.

Yea, I want something like that, did you get it local? All I can find on the web locally is brand name so it's 1100 for probably the same thing as the hotdawg.
                              Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X