importing a older car??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importing a older car??

Well i decided to keep my mk4 but still want to get an e30 for a summer car. There seeems to be way better deals on these cars in the states and more of them. So my question is, is importing a car a real hassle? ive been reading and get mixed reviews about it. Anyone import and older car into canada. or better yet AB? and want about cars with mods. like a turbo'd e30?...which is want i am wanting to get.

it kinda seems like if i have all the right papers and such it should be alright..

any comments are welcome with open arms!

thanks,
    James
    mk4 wagon

Re: importing a older car??

Its pretty damn easy, the only material trouble points are installing running lights and french airbag labels. Other than that, you simply inform the US border via fax that you want to export the car 72 hrs in advance (fill out a one page form!). At the Canadian side you simply go through the gate where they instruct you to go inside and pay duty and gst.

That's all there really is to it. There are details on buying new cars with dealers not wanting to sell to CDNs, there are issues in clearing funds (only matters if you can't buy blind) and there are the logistical issues of getting you to the car. Most of the things people complain about are in this last set of issues. They're not unique to importing a car though.

I should add, when you return you need to go through the www.riv.ca process. Provided that you've done enough research this is NOT rocket science.
    Last edited by kuhli; 11-20-2007, 09:33 AM.

Comment

If the car is 15 years or older you do not need to go through the riv process correct?

Comment

correct.
        Kyle
        2000 Audi S4

Comment

Working...
        X