No announcement yet.

Anyone ever have rims shipped to them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever have rims shipped to them?

Looking at picking up a set of wheels from the U.S (new jersey to be exact) and I was wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark figure in regards to shipping cost? Duty cost? ect ect.

I've been told that its not worth picking up small ticket items at Sweetgrass, but is it worth it for a big ticket item?

Any tricks to keeping costs down? I've heard that if your mark it as a "gift", you don't get charged duty? Is this true? Is this complicated to do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tint sucks

Re: Anyone ever have rims shipped to them?

Sweetgrass is not worth it most of the time. Just don't ship UPS. If you have to use UPS you need to use the following services UPS Worldwide Express Plus, UPS Worldwide Express, UPS Worldwide Express Saver, and UPS Worldwide Expedited Services. According to the website brokerage is free (its never free but its reasonable.) check out http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

You may have to pay duty, you would have to check with customs.

Personally I have shipped very large orderes Ups of duty free items and they didnt charge an extreme ammount. That should only happen if you use a service besides the ones I listed. Otherwise you may want to look at going fedex as they don't have a rep. of screwing people.

Comment

I had the company ship the wheels I bought from florida to sweetgrass for pickup, for the shipping, duties, taxes and gas there and back ran me around $500. I was getting quotes from $800+ from different companies to ship to my door (just the shipping charge) this did not include taxes, duties, or brokerage fees in most cases. I found for larger items like wheels that shipping to Sweetgrass was worth it. Most people would have to miss a day of work as well so that should be factored in as well I guess. Shop around though you might get lucky.
      2002 996TT
      2011 S5
      2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by The Brice View Post
        I had the company ship the wheels I bought from florida to sweetgrass for pickup, for the shipping, duties, taxes and gas there and back ran me around $500. I was getting quotes from $800+ from different companies to ship to my door (just the shipping charge) this did not include taxes, duties, or brokerage fees in most cases. I found for larger items like wheels that shipping to Sweetgrass was worth it. Most people would have to miss a day of work as well so that should be factored in as well I guess. Shop around though you might get lucky.
        Did you have to pay duty as you crossed the boarder back to Canada?
        Tint sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Duby T View Post
          Did you have to pay duty as you crossed the boarder back to Canada?
          Yes I did, it didn't amount to that much but different countries have different rates I guess. The border guards will give you a piece of doc. to fill out saying what you bought how much you bought it for and what country it was manufactured in, so just make sure you know where your rims and or tires were made and your set. Make sure you have the shipping invoice and a purchase receipt to show as well.
          2002 996TT
          2011 S5
          2004 S4 Avant

Comment

I bought used wheels and shipped them to sweetgrass, it was seriously cheap, like $20/wheel in shipping and no duty and no brokerage. Just the gas to drive there and my time.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

If whatever your buying is made in the U.S. of A. there is no duties and you don't have to pay brokerage if you go to the border yourself. Brokerage fees are what you pay the brokerage lawyer to get your merchandise across the border for you. I've heard their charges can be anywhere from moderate to ludacris as well, depends on mood I guess.
              2002 996TT
              2011 S5
              2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Am i gonna pay an arm and a leg if they are German made?
                Tint sucks

Comment

Your best off putting tax dollars to use and just calling the border services. They well tell you what duty you have to pay. Then you pay brokerage, which is irregardless of wether the item was made in NA or abroad. Typically brokerage is a % of the price.

Comment

Originally posted by nordex View Post
                    Your best off putting tax dollars to use and just calling the border services. They well tell you what duty you have to pay. Then you pay brokerage, which is irregardless of wether the item was made in NA or abroad. Typically brokerage is a % of the price.

You dont pay "brokerage" if you dont use a broker. If you bring them across yourself, for personal use you will pay GST on the purshase price. You are in effect brokering them across yourself.

When I brought wheels across recently there was no duty applied to them, just GST. My wife's clothing on the other hand I had to pay 17% duty.

This leads me to believe that there is no duty on tires regardless of where they are made.

A
                    www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

I had to pay duty on my tires. The border guard said to mark down where both the rims and the tires were manufactured, even though they were already mounted and balanced and once again there is NO BROKERAGE!!! when you get them yourself.
                      2002 996TT
                      2011 S5
                      2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by The Brice View Post
                        I had to pay duty on my tires. The border guard said to mark down where both the rims and the tires were manufactured, even though they were already mounted and balanced and once again there is NO BROKERAGE!!! when you get them yourself.
                        That sucks about having to pay for the duty. But yes you are right about being no brokerage if you bring them across yourself.

Andrew
                        www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

It well probably be cheaper to pay brokerage then drive to the usa.

Comment

I noticed Tirerack's system gives you brokerage costs, GST and duty at the time of order. Not a bad option...

Comment

Originally posted by kuhli View Post
                              I noticed Tirerack's system gives you brokerage costs, GST and duty at the time of order. Not a bad option...
                              Tirerack does not carry the rims im trying to score.

I just called customs and they said I will need to pay 7% duty on the tires becuse they are Japanese (Dunlop) and 6% duty becuase the rims are european (secret). On top of this, I gotta pay the 6% provincial sales tax.

In total, im gonna have to pay a wopping 19% of the cost of the item in Duties.

Its just not fair....its just not fair
                              Tint sucks

Comment

Working...
                              X