So this US vs. CAD dollar is really starting to annoy me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this US vs. CAD dollar is really starting to annoy me

Phoned up Lego of all places to put an order in, after looking at the US prices and talking to co-workers, it was clear that the canadian prices were out to lunch. I know co-workers that were able to order and they appeared to be given "adjusted" prices.

So I call up, the item is 165.99US and 235.99 CAD!!!! When I tried to ask why the huge difference she clearly recited something about "economic differences between countries and tax differences", wow, what a load. It ships from the same warehouse but because it goes to a Canadian address they tack on another 70 bucks. They totally didn't care that I was no longer interested in buying the item (how could I justify it now?) they just said "ok, thank you for calling lego, have a nice day".

I'm angry and dissapointed, looks like my only hope will be ebay (but they don't have exactly what I was looking for). Honestly, even if it was $30-$40 more I probably would have considered it but at $70 that's nearly 50% markup, I would also have to pay taxes and duty on the bloated price. It just seems to be getting out of hand.

It actually looks like some companies have hiked Canadian prices even more on new product to try to compensate for the money they are losing on inventory that was bought when the dollar was weaker.

Anyway, just had to vent.
    Jay

Re: So this US vs. CAD dollar is really starting to annoy me

I definitely think that companies are aware and purposely continuing the difference, in order to exploit the difference for their own profit.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

what are you trying to build? an Aluminum Falcon? I built some crazy sh1t out of lego back in the day.
      Last edited by Coker Rat; 10-11-2007, 03:34 PM.
      Dylan
      (Made from bits of real panther.)

Comment

Things are definitely skewed and may get worse before they get better. However with the Xmas shopping season fast approaching local retailers better get a clue as they might be making good money per item but once their sales decline watch out.

I think it is especially hard for Albertans with recent high inflation, things have gotten very expensive here yet we see things very cheap so close and so why should we have to pay that difference. I realize this will take money out of our economy but perhaps that is good to help cool things down!

With the exception of my everyday items I am not sure if I will be doing much shopping locally for a while, DVDs, clothes, cars are just soo much cheaper in the US now.
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

PS Lego rocks!
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Jason is building a Ferrari would be my guess

2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
            My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

^ thats pretty cool
              Stefan
              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

well even some money exchange places aren't up to snuff yet. Just saw on the Money Mart exchange board while i was on the Ctrain its still 94.4 to $1US.

What CANADIANS are slowly seeing is the cost of living in Canada is significantly more than in the US, PERIOD. We pay more, given we are a much smaller market than they are and loads of other factors. But I agree many retailers are very slow to make the conversion.

You also have to remember THEY DONT CARE. You think this is even a news story down there that little Canada made parity with them? Please. They could give a rats ass that our $$ is more than theirs at the moment and this is part of the issue. Many retailers simply dont even realize our dollar is worth so much more when they last adjusted their prices a year ago.
                Team Highschool
                Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Yeah this is annoying, try owning a small business... it sucks.
                  Last edited by Dubsport Inc; 10-11-2007, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                    ^ thats pretty cool
                    I'm buying one! They have a whole set of them... this thread made me want to go and find all my lego
                    2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

Time to get a US Post Box and have all your stuff sent there. They will forward it to you from there for cheap.

Combine this with a USD Visa with you new US Mailing adress as the Ship To adress and you are set.

This place in Washington lets you sign up for free and only charges you to $3 to recieve a package and what ever it costs to ship it to you. http://www.packageexpress.com/

Not only are the prices vastly better in the US, the service is head and shoulders above the crappy customer service we get here from Calgary retailers. People actually talk to you when you enter a store and have manners and are apreciative when you buy stuff. I dont need my ass kissed when I shop but a hello & thank you is also nice now & then.

Andrew
                      www.livingcolours.ca - This bugs for you

“A man who says he does not let the little things bother him has never spent a night in a tent with a single mosquito” - Unknown

Comment

I e-mail LEGO yesterday about the Ferrari lego and why it was so much more in Canada, this is what I got back:

Dear Mr BanduraThank you for your email regarding the prices of LEGO® products.Due to differences in economics around the world, product prices are established globally for each specific country or market area. There may be many variables including taxes, exchange rates and country laws which can affect the market value.Suggested retail prices for our product assortment are determined well in advance. We rely on professional studies of the dollar fluctuations over a multi year horizon to determine the suggested retail price which will not change during the product assortment year. The suggested retail price of our products has historically not fluctuated every time the value of the dollar rises or falls to maintain an annual harmonized price. Our website and our catalogue reflect the set suggested retail prices.However, comments from our consumers are extremely important to us and please be assured that I have forwarded your remarks to Management. Please do not hesitate to
                        contact us again if we can be of further assistance. We wish you many more happy hours of creative building with LEGO brand toys in the years to come. MoiraLEGO Direct Consumer ServicesIf you wish to reply to this message, use the "Reply" button on your e-mail program. Please do not make any changes to the subject line, as this may lead to a long delay in responding to you.If you wish to e-mail us again on another matter, please use our webform here - http://www.lego.com/service/contactus.aspI live in Canada and would just like to know whythere is a mark up on prices from your online store? Can I pay the USDprice and ship to Canada?
                        2001.5 Audi S4

Comment

Interesting.....

Well, I'm not ordering anymore, I was going to order a few things but I'll just have to come up with a different idea I guess.
                          Jay

Comment

ordered an ipod touch the other day and got it shipped to one of my companies US offices..saved me like 80 bucks or something stupid like that
                            REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                            -james

Comment

One thing I noticed is they mentioned the "suggested retail price in the catalogue", but it's on their direct website, and also, most of what they said doesn't apply because if you order from their website it comes from the same place in the US whether it's going to the US or Canada. It's not the same as a company with distributors and market regions etc.
                              Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X