Class Action Lawsuit For High Car Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class Action Lawsuit For High Car Prices

The Toronto-based law firm of Juroviesky and Ricci has announced a class-action lawsuit against automakers due to unfair sales practices. The lawsuit — which is seeking $2 billion — claims automakers have kept vehicle prices artificially high despite the increased value of the Canadian dollar. Currently, a Canadian vehicle can cost as much as 38% more than its U.S. counterpart.

The suit was filed on the behalf of four Toronto citizens who claim they paid more for the same car in Canada than they would have in the U.S. According to the National Post, the lawsuit covers consumers who purchased cars in Canada during the two year span from August 2005 to August 2007.

Earlier today, Porsche announced it would lower its Canadian pricing by 10% while increasing standard features.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Class Action Lawsuit For High Car Prices

National Post Article

The major Canadian and U.S. auto manufacturers are about to be hit with a $2-billion class-action suit in Canada over their sales practices, which a law firm alleges artificially enhances the price of vehicles in Canada and dissuades consumers from crossing the border to take advantage of a stronger dollar to purchase or lease cheaper vehicles in the United States.

Toronto class-action law firm Juroviesky and Ricci is expected to file the suit on behalf of four Toronto residents who say they paid more for cars in Canada, after factoring in the exchange rate, than the comparable or identical cars cost in the United States. The suit covers consumers who bought cars between August, 2005, and August, 2007, a period when the Canadian dollar was rapidly appreciating. It also seeks $100-million in punitive damages.

The action, which also names the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association (CADA) and its U.S. counterpart, the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA), alleges the defendants "conspired to lessen competition and to unreasonably enhance the price of new cars sold in Canada," contrary to the Competition Act.

The suit claims the defendants engaged in a "series of concerted actions, agreements and directives amongst each other" that had the effect of reducing competition in the U.S. and Canadian marketplace for new cars. They did so by attempting to control and limit the cross-shipping of new cars across the border, the suit claims.

Such actions allegedly include:

-forcing consumers to sign "no-export clauses" in their sales contracts to prevent them from taking vehicles home to Canada or the United States;

-failing to honour warranties from vehicles purchased on the other side of the border;

-penalizing dealers who sold vehicles, which were later exported, through the use of "chargebacks" or threatening to withhold inventory or popular styles and colour of vehicles;

-Threatening to terminate dealerships of Canadian dealers that didn't comply.

The Competition Act makes it an offence for anyone to conspire to lessen competition or unreasonably enhance the prices.

William Price, director of legal services at NADA, said he had not seen the lawsuit and was unable to comment. Neither could Honda or Ford Motor Co. Calls to CADA, General Motors Corp. and Chrysler Canada were not returned.

The plaintiffs' lawyer Henry Juroviesky said "we allege a cross-border conspiracy between U.S. head offices and their Canadian affiliates to each protect the high profits in their respective jurisdictions by not allowing the cross-shipping or import of cars from Canada to the U.S. or the U.S. to Canada." The suit claims that when the dollar trades below US70¢, it's advantageous for U.S. consumers to buy cars here, and when it trades above US80¢, it's better for Canadians to buy cars in the United States because of the pricing differential between the two countries. Mr. Juroviesky said that under the "natural laws of competition," the prices should be comparable, once the exchange is factored in.

"Right now you should be able to go to Buffalo and get a fully loaded Camry for the mid-20s. In a Toronto showroom you're walking out at $36,000 or $37,000 and it [the dollar] is at par."

A recent report from automotive analyst Dennis DesRosiers found the price differential between the United States and Canada is typically $1,000, but goes as high as $7,960 for an intermediate SUV.

This is not the first class action the automotive industry faces over anti-trust allegations regarding Canada-U.S. pricing issues. A similar suit in the United States against manufacturers and dealer associations has been certified, although Toyota has settled for $35-million, but didn't admit to wrongdoing.

Bill Osler, president of the North American Automobile Trade Association, an association for car importers and exporters, said, "The lawsuit doesn't surprise me," noting the ongoing U.S. suit and troubles over cross-border pricing in Europe. "Manufacturers try to charge as much as they can for a vehicle in any particular market. It's easier for them to have different prices in different countries, even if a car is effectively the same."

The case is far from a slam dunk, said Ariel Katz, a law professor at the University of Toronto. Competition law makes a distinction between vertical relationships, those involving a manufacturer and its own distribution network, and horizontal relationships, those among competing manufacturers. There is more leeway in assessing conspiracies under vertical relations, he said, as the authorities are sympathetic to companies that are trying to build their markets and protect their dealers' investments. "It allows for exclusive relationships."

When it comes to horizontal relationships, "you have to prove there is a conspiracy, but you don't have to prove the effect of the conspiracy."

Mr. Juroviesky isn't overly concerned. "At the end of the day, they artificially enhanced the price of cars. At this point that is something that is almost factually undeniable."
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

bout time

Comment

thats retarded, i hope they don't get a penny. dont like car prices, take the bus! lets sue the government too because of the stronger loonie!
        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

dude makes sense.. 63000 for a RS4 in the US but 100k here.. umm no thanks
          Last edited by R_Ethug; 09-27-2007, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Porsche just announced a 10% decrease in MSRP for 2008 models in Canada. They are still way overpriced, but at least they did something... although I suspect a lot of buyers will still look to the U.S.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/26/p...g-2008-prices/
            billip
            2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

thats retarded, i hope they don't get a penny. dont like car prices, take the bus! lets sue the government too because of the stronger loonie!
              wow you're logic is astounding.
              Last edited by RONDAL; 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM.
              Team Highschool
              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

wow your grammar is astounding
                I'd like to make a statment!
                2012 Q5
                2011 A5

Comment

asstounding??

It's going to be tough for car makers with lots of leased vehicles to lower their prices as they have buy back commitments. Lowering the prices will kill the resale on leased vehicles that they take back.

I'm all for lowering prices though just because then I can afford a nicer vehicle when the time comes.
                  Jay

Comment

asspounding what?

anyways they need to lower prices here.. look at kris.. went to the US.. simon to the US.. simon to the US..

Comment

Of course they're milking it for as long as they can. But to actually punish shoppers by blacklisting them for buying across the border goes against everything we're trying to promote about free trade. I'd pay ~10% more to buy local just to save all the hassle, but 38%? 45%? That's insane.

The thing that everyone seems to forget though is that is not just that Canadian prices should come down - US prices should go up. There's just huge pressure not to do that as that would make the US economy even worse.
                      Geoff
                      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

I'm going to sue Remax because my condo was so expensive.
                        2008 Audi RS4
                        2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

really in all fairness we should see the us prices come up a bit and ours come down. But it will be really tough for retailers in the US to raise their prices.

I've heard nothing but good things from people who have bought cars in the US at work (quite a few already btw). I work with a guy who just picked up a 05.5 A4 from the states with low kms from the dealer with a fully transferable warranty. If I didn't just buy a car in 06 I would be in the states in a flash picking up an S4 or something.

As for this law suit thing. Some of you might think its silly but hey, whats the worst that could happen? Good for them for sticking it to the stealerships. At the same time I would be surprised if anything comes of it. There are more factors at play than the exchange rate.
                          Last edited by Coker Rat; 09-27-2007, 05:32 PM.
                          Dylan
                          (Made from bits of real panther.)

Comment

Working...
                          X