Alberta's Highways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta's Highways

I just finished a trip to the coast and back and i gotta say...Alberta's road are complete ****. You can actually tell when you hit the border between BC and AB. Yes I realize alberta experiances different weather and climate than BC, but at the border...come on. The fact its the primary road between the coast and the praries is one thing, the fact its a massive tourist road is another. The TransCanada is so neglected its not even funny. I rub and smash all the way to the border, and can then drive worry free thereafter.

Even the roads they do fix they dont fix properly, not smoothing things out so you cant feel where the work has been done, not patching properly using a compactor and roller. It pisses me off just to think how bad these idiots do their jobs.

Even brand new roads in calgary suck. They just repaved Richmond road after skimming it down to the ground and building it back up. Its still wavy as hell and has a ton of bumps. yes fewer than before, but worse than most 15 year old roads everywhere west of here.

im pissed...and now i gotta buy new tires.
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Re: Alberta's Highways

As far as the transcanada goes isn't that maintained by the federal gov't?

Comment

I used to take many a family trips to Saskatchewan and when you crossed the border the roads would be noticeably a lot worse in Sask, however on recent trips this difference is a lot less noticeable

This city and province has had such a huge increase in usage over the last 1-2 years that the roads are taking a beating and all the patchwork pavement due to development is getting very bad.
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Cry
        I'd like to make a statment!
        2012 Q5
        2011 A5

Comment

Sask is still ALOT worse than Alberta my friend.

I've travelled TONS of roads in both, and I'm still amazed at the quality of many obscure secondary alberta highways with zero traffic. Many of them are better than 95% of Sask's main highways.
          Chris

Comment

i just came from there too. all i can say is who cares. raise your car up then.
            you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

ya the road on the alberta side of highway 1 is ****, the stretch from castle junction to past lake louise is awfull, so many little cracks and bumps the whole way, may car was vibrating soo bad i thought something was gonna break
              sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
              His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
              Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
              Past:
              B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
              B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
              2004 .:R32 BMP
              2001.5 Noggy blue s4
              2000 VW GTI 1.8T
              1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

transcanada is a joke, doesn't canada claim its the longest highway in the world or something? thats ********, because in certain spots it has traffic lights!!!! HIGHWAYS DONT HAVE STOP LIGHTS!!! sorry, thats garbage.
                2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

to those that say raise my car: get over it...whether i am in a lowered dub or cadillac i am still going to be bouncing around to **** on the road.

the state of our highway makes it UNSAFE more most to drive. everyone swerves to avoid the massive bumps and cracks, not to mention the bumps in turns that upset the suspension during cornering.

If the Federal Govt maintains it I am sure they do it by funding only and that would be giving money to the province to fix, which they misuse. Its a freakin' joke out there.

I just did a roadtrip to Sask in my car and while the road isn't great, its better than the stretch west of calgary to the border. Yes there are potholes but they are 1" deep and can easily be avoided. its the massive rifts and bumps in the pavement that cause all the grief here
                  Team Highschool
                  Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                    to those that say raise my car: get over it...whether i am in a lowered dub or cadillac i am still going to be bouncing around to **** on the road.

the state of our highway makes it UNSAFE more most to drive. everyone swerves to avoid the massive bumps and cracks, not to mention the bumps in turns that upset the suspension during cornering.

If the Federal Govt maintains it I am sure they do it by funding only and that would be giving money to the province to fix, which they misuse. Its a freakin' joke out there.

I just did a roadtrip to Sask in my car and while the road isn't great, its better than the stretch west of calgary to the border. Yes there are potholes but they are 1" deep and can easily be avoided. its the massive rifts and bumps in the pavement that cause all the grief here

When I first moved here 6 years ago I couldn't beleive the roads here. They ****** suck ass! They still suck ass today. As for the influx of population putting a beat down on the roads, I don't beleive that's the case because if you look at Toronto they have a population of five million plus. The roads there are like a prom queens thighs compared to the roads here. I say Calgary city workers should put the coffees down and put a bit more quality into the work they are doing for our tax dollars. MY $0.02..
                    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                    You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                      west of calgary? HA!

try west of edmonton to the border!

coming back yesterday, crossing the border there is a "BUMP" sign "300m" .. It was fucking retarded.

I think i rubbed my back tires 3 times the whole time i was in BC, i rubbed 13 time before i got to jasper (yes i counted :P) then lost count on the way into edmonton.

not to mention the HUGE ruts in the highway which turn into athabasca rivers when it rains (like it was)

Comment

dean, what about fort mac roads, eh eh?

*stands back a bit to watch the smoke come out*
                        Dylan
                        (Made from bits of real panther.)

Comment

Originally posted by Volkstech View Post
                          When I first moved here 6 years ago I couldn't beleive the roads here. They ****** suck ass! They still suck ass today. As for the influx of population putting a beat down on the roads, I don't beleive that's the case because if you look at Toronto they have a population of five million plus. The roads there are like a prom queens thighs compared to the roads here. I say Calgary city workers should put the coffees down and put a bit more quality into the work they are doing for our tax dollars. MY $0.02..
                          Awww, dude, after all the times I stuck up for you and the service/pricing that delearships offer you have to go and start slinging muck at other people's professions? Not nice.

Are you complaining about the quality of new construction, or the roads that have been down for a long time and are cracked and heave with the wild temperature fluctuations and result in potholes? You can't compare Calgary and Toronto. Sure, they have more traffic, but it's the elemets that eat up the asphalt, not the traffic.

"City workers drinking coffee". There's a stereotype that the general public knows nothing about. Take a look around at City workers and ask yourself if you'd do the same job, in the same conditions, for the same pay. Like the Roads workers who are outside in both +30 and -30 with traffic flying by because it's "inconvenient" to slow down for the lazy workers. Or the Waterworks folks who are waste deep in flowing water repairing a main break at -25. Or pretty much everybody who was up for 48 hours straight sandbagging when the Elbow River flooded. I could go on, but I'm sure you get my point.

I'm not saying that the road conditions are good in Calgary. I know what lanes to avoid because of the holes and such. But before you start slagging other people's work ethics, try to think a bit about what's a stereotype, and what's real. Perhaps compare it to working at a dealership...
                          Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                          2016 .:R (sold)
                          2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
                          2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

What really irks me about our road conditions is the amount of capital this province holds. There is so much money flowing into the province at this time yet very little seems to be flowing back down to society. Yeah yeah rainy day fund, heard it all before, but more money for services and upkeep needs to be had.
                            2002 996TT
                            2011 S5
                            2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Jester B View Post
                              Awww, dude, after all the times I stuck up for you and the service/pricing that delearships offer you have to go and start slinging muck at other people's professions? Not nice.
                              Dude, I know people who used to work for the city and they tell me what their jobs are all about. It made me sick to think my tax dollars are paying for them to sleep in their trucks / cars and smoke weed. So don't preach to me about slinging muck. I know first hand. I don't blindly blast people just just because I think it's stereotypical. I actually do my homework first.
                              Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                              You dig sucka?!

Comment

Working...
                              X