Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small chunk missing out of tire... Dangerous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small chunk missing out of tire... Dangerous?

So I must have ran something over in my travels as there is a big gouge in my one rim and a chunk of rubber missing... its probably about 1/4 of an inch deep and about an inch long, is this something I should look at getting replaced sooner rather than later? The tire isn't losing pressure and hasn't gone flat or shown any signs of being affected otherwise.

I'll be going on a road trip in august of about 6000km so I'd like to make sure I'm not going to get stuck driving through death valley! Thanks!
    2007 BMW 328XI

Re: Small chunk missing out of tire... Dangerous?

If you are doing a 6000km trip in it I would really recomend you fix ANY potential problem as the last thing you want is to have repair issues to deal with in the middle of no where. Fix it.

Comment

Or at least let a tire shop look at it.

Comment

Yeah thats what I figured, at any rate I was going to get it checked out when I had some time. Just wanted to see if it was something I should get checked out immediatly.
        2007 BMW 328XI

Comment

Generally, if none of the internal cords are exposed and there is no bulging from any potential broken cords, the structural integrity is still intact and the tire is not going to be dangerous to drive on, BUT, if a chunk of rubber is gone, that means there is less rubber in that particular area to protect the internal cords/belting from future damage if you hit a pothole or something strikes the tire while driving...
          Last edited by tirebob; 07-30-2007, 03:27 PM.
          sigpic
          Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
          Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
          Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
          888.769.1772 Toll Free
          403.769.1771 tel
          403.769.1773 fax
          bob@urbanexp.ca

Comment

Thanks bob.. that being said I'll probably replace it before I go on my trip. I suppose I'll need to replace at least the 2 rear tires.

The chunk of rubber is actually still attached, it didn't break completely off. Maybe I'll super glue it back in place =)
            Last edited by nonick; 07-31-2007, 07:28 AM.
            2007 BMW 328XI

Comment

Originally posted by nonick View Post
              Thanks bob.. that being said I'll probably replace it before I go on my trip. I suppose I'll need to replace at least the 2 rear tires.

The chunk of rubber is actually still attached, it didn't break completely off. Maybe I'll super glue it back in place =)
              If you want to come by the shop I can look at it and give you a proper evaluation...
              sigpic
              Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire
              Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
              Calgary Alberta, T2E6L5
              888.769.1772 Toll Free
              403.769.1771 tel
              403.769.1773 fax
              bob@urbanexp.ca

Comment

Sounds like a good idea actually.. what are your hours?
                2007 BMW 328XI

Comment

Working...
                X