Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a phone on ebay?

Bad idea?

So my contract is finally about to run out with bell and Im getting a new phone right away. Thing is, most of the phones from bell, imo are outdated and lame. Im thinking a slick non-flip phone would be money. Anyone have any experience buying a new unlocked phone off ebay? Id say my budget is about 300 bucks. Is it worth it, are there even that nice of phones out there? Also, I have a $150 credit with bell for a new phone, anyone know if I could use this for anything else?

TIA
    Last edited by RedMile04; 07-16-2007, 11:21 PM.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Re: Buying a phone on ebay?

Originally posted by RedMile04 View Post
    Bad idea?

So my contract is finally about to run out with bell and Im getting a new phone right away. Thing is, most of the phones from bell, imo are outdated and lame. Im thinking a slick non-flip phone would be money. Anyone have any experience buying a new unlocked phone off ebay? Id say my budget is about 300 bucks. Is it worth it, are there even that nice of phones out there? Also, I have a $150 credit with bell for a new phone, anyone know if I could use this for anything else?

TIA
    with a bell or telus phone, these work off a CDMA network. it's not as simple as just buying a phone and turning it on. you'll have to activate it with the provider, which i think is between $50-100 right now. if you are ok with this, then it shouldn't be a problem, but finding one is a lot harder than you would think.

most of the unlocked phones are GSM network phones. the providers for that locally are Fido and Rogers (same company). These work by switching out the SIM card from your existing phone into the new one. CDMA phones the information is carried within the phone, GSM phones are a host and the information is carried on that SIM card. No activation is required for these unlocked GSM phones. places like omegacell carry a lot of nice phones, but only GSM. I think the iPhone is only GSM as well.

Switching providers you can also keep your phone number too now. so keep that in mind.

good luck!
    ~Lenny

Nogaro blue!!!

Comment

I bought my blackberry off ebay unlocked, no problems at all but I'm on Rogers of course
      I'd like to make a statment!
      2012 Q5
      2011 A5

Comment

I bought a phone from Tiger Direct, had problems with it, in the end, it was a throw away item. Sometimes the good price upfront is not worth it when you have to pay for a loaner phone, pay for shipping and the repairs because the warranty was only 90 days. I always think about the warranty when buying electronics.

Comment

Hmm well thanks for the help guys, sounds like Ill just suck it up and buy a phone here. I think Im going to be switching to Rogers anyway as Bell reception is the suck! I actually get voicemails all the time because my phone is searching for reception while Im sitting in my house. Im leaving a sick plan on the table though, unlim internet, minutes, and text, plus caller id, voicemail etc, for 45 bucks/ month. Oh well, Rogers has better phones plus I will actually get reception!
          Last edited by RedMile04; 07-17-2007, 11:37 PM.
          When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Comment

wtf how did you scam that for $45?
            2012 Q5
            2011 A5

Comment

Originally posted by Mitcheh View Post
              wtf how did you scam that for $45?
              it's a new plan,i just got two flip phones for 56 dollars a month.free calling to the other phone,unlimited time evenings and weekends,100 minutes of long distance
              but only 200 minutes day use.

Comment

Try myworldphone.com

I have ordered about 5 phones from there now.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by gtx View Post
                  it's a new plan,i just got two flip phones for 56 dollars a month.free calling to the other phone,unlimited time evenings and weekends,100 minutes of long distance
                  but only 200 minutes day use.
                  I was talking more about the unlimited internet... Your plan sounds like mine, I only have 150 daytime minutes because I have a phone at work so who needs them...
                  I pay like 70$ or so because of the data plan on my berry though
                  2012 Q5
                  2011 A5

Comment

Working...
                  X