iPhone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone question

My friend in Vegas is sending me my iPhone tomorrow and I am a little worried after hearing today that it is only going to work with an AT&T SIM card.

Originally I was assured that I could just get a Rogers plan - as it is a GSM network - and everything would be peachy. But now this SIM card thing might de-rail my iPhone dreams.

Can any cell phone experts chime in and put my fears to rest? Am I just going to have a very expensive iPod on my hands?
    2008 Audi RS4
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Re: iPhone question

To be honest, I would definitely not do what you're trying to do. I'm sure the phone will be locked to AT&T somehow... and I'm also sure they will not give you the unlock codes. Also, I've been reading that the phone won't work as an iPod until it has been activated through iTunes... and this only happens when you sign up for an AT&T service plan (activating and choosing a plan seems to be done through iTunes). So basically you won't even have an iPod... you'll have a brick. A very pretty brick.

My suggestion is don't be the first person to try this. Wait until someone else does.
    billip
    2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

But on a higher note I bet you can make a mint on it with ebay
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I'm waiting for the iPhone Nano.

Anyway, if it's unlocked you might have a chance but if it's locked refer to Bill's comments.

I know virtually nothing about the iPhone though so i'm probably not much help.
        Jay

Comment

No. you cannot get one. They are not selling them outright at launch. You are required to do a few things to have an active iphone. A) you have to commit to a 2 yr contract. B) once you sign the contract the phone is activated through itunes. However you can only activate with a Sim card from at&t.

"Were you planning on buying an iPhone, bringing it home and immediately swapping out the SIM card? AT&T says no. Their recently posted iPhone FAQ states that your iPhone must be activated (i.e. through iTunes, with a credit card and a two year calling plan) before the phone can be used. You can't just swap out your current SIM card and start right away. Apple's Q&A adds (rather unhelpfully) that you "should use the SIM card that came preinstalled in the iPhone", giving no hint as to whether a SIM swap is possible.

As I posted yesterday, activating the iPhone restarts the 2-year calling plan clock, regardless of whether you're an existing customer or not.

Thanks, Ryan Valle.

Update via David Pogue: "Can I use a SIM card from another phone? The iPhone comes with an installed SIM card, the tiny circuit board that stores your account information and phone number. Apple says that you should be able to replace it with any recent AT&T card, once you activate it in iTunes. No other company's SIM card works in the iPhone."

And it's true the phone wont go to the home screen until the phone has been activated on the contract. Don't take my word for it though its all over the mac forums and iphone reviews.
          Last edited by nordex; 06-28-2007, 12:39 PM.

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/te...erland&emc=rss
            Last edited by nordex; 06-28-2007, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I agree it will likely not work.

I would also be wary of jumping on the first generation iPhone bandwagon. Why?

- Its big! By today's standards.

- Its plastic.

- Generally first generation apple products are soon replaced with way better second generation products.

- Often first generation apple products have had problems... remember the iPod battery problems? Batches with bad hard drives? Scratching or cracking cases? Etc.

- The iPhone is going to be expensive in terms of total cost of ownership.

- Initially you will look 'cool' since you got one, but then everyone will have one very rapidly. I think having a swank rare mobile phone will be cooler than an iPhone after the initial hype.

- It doesnt' do things that many cell phones do! No ringtones? No wireless bluetooth in stereo? No GPS? No memory card? No video clip recording? Etc etc.

- There are other devices out there that are quite good.

- The networks won't initially support all of the features very well. Eg. voice and data operations at the same time.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

LOL on at&t if your on data and crack out the phone feature it just wont work according to the ny times review. However the reviews have been great. Im sure its going to be like amazing like totally.

Ps. Its not really plastic either. The screen is glass and the back is like the ipod.
                Last edited by nordex; 06-28-2007, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I wants one, but def gonna wait till Canadian release
                  I'd like to make a statment!
                  2012 Q5
                  2011 A5

Comment

yea.. i know its on AT&Ts edge which is the same as rogers but i doubt you can sim swap.. has to be unlocked.. i'd almost just resell the bugger on ebay for like 1000 bucks

i'm with kor and almost wait 3-6 months for the 2nd gen to hit.. no more bugs,etc

here at work with have the new blackberry 8800s and they are full of bugs and RIM pushed back releases on them even

Comment

My friend at Rogers says that she can get any phone unlocked for me so that isn't a problem, but all these other issues are BIG problems....

I might have to back out and just wait for the Canadian release.

Or do you realistically think I can make money off it on eBay?
                      2008 Audi RS4
                      2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Yes
                        Sell it on ebay, it's going to sell out like a next gen console would...
                        I'd like to make a statment!
                        2012 Q5
                        2011 A5

Comment

chris i did a huge project like 200k with rogers last month and they refuse to unlock phones for me.. they sent me to meet this friggin guy on 17th to 'meet' at a 711.. gimme a break! i ended up using an online unlocker out of toronto for a few 8800s.. but yea rogers wouldn't budge..

Comment

I think your friend at rogers is a little confused. If you do some research you well find out apple has locked the iphne. Only apple has access to the software the iphone is running. They won't even allow developers in on the iphone. They told developers that it is running osx with a full version of safari. If you want to make an app make it web based. I seriously doubt your friend can just "unlock" the phone.

Comment

yup this is true.. it is a mini version of osx.. i've seen a few apps but they are all web based..

Comment

Working...
                              X