Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speakers

I have to say that there is a middle ground between you both. DIY Speakers can go pretty far and there is a lot of knowledge out there. I am sure you can build a decent speaker. Better than a Best Buy type speaker maybe.

But...

The simple formulas you find online, little programs, and DIY knowledge that is out there does not compare however to the processes (calculations, research, testing, development, fabrication) used by the high end manufacturers. The forumulas you use for things like basic port length are definitely not all inclusive, they are very simple. Likewise even the driver technology you will have access to is simple and the specs you get for the driver you purchase are probably incomplete.

A company can spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on developing the speaker or speaker line, then can spread that cost across selling to thousands of people over dozens of years.

When you buy a speaker from B&W or Focal or other big companies, you are getting trickle-down technology from their highest end speakers even in their budget lines. You are capitalizing on economies of scale. Sometimes its cheaper for them to give you a better tweeter because they are already ordering or making it in bulk.

Anyway, I welcome all challengers, if you want to build a bookshelf speaker and bring it over to my place, we can do a shootout. :P
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Yeah this idea to “build” speaker box’s sort of just felling into my lap. I just bought a house and seeing as the sound system from my parent’s place is not mine, I still have a year of school left (although I am on my internship right now) and I found the speaker box’s in good condition in my basement I decided to give it a try. I guess the question now is can I get a good speaker for the same price that I would make an alright speaker.
      2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
      My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

I have worked with engineers who design there own amps and some that even build their own high end speakers. Yes there is no magic formula there never is when it comes to speakers in any way shape or form. You can take half the speakers in the low to mid-high market and I bet 9 out of 10 people will not be able to tell the difference. For most speakers out there you are also paying for a name, it is like buying Monster cables instead of using cat5 cable which is proven to work just as well.
        What I am trying to say is don't get dragged into the brand game, you can design and tweak many designs that you will be way more satisfied with then you would be going out and spending more money buying something off the shelf.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

The other "problem" could be the box, as these have not seen action in I would bet 5 or 6 years I cant remember what they even sounded like when they were working.
          2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
          My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

aaaah, this discussion just made me think.

Even if you made the biggest pile of junk, you'd still think it's the best thing in the world.
            All because you took the time to design/manufacture it and spent probably 100x the cost of an equivalent off the shelf product when your time/labor is included (which we demand our employers to pay for).

Most everyone (myself included) do try to save a few bucks, doing the upgrade. It's almost never worth it except for that personal satisfaction of saying I did it.

DON'T DO IT...IT'S A MONEY PIT, save it for school or house
            put.......put.......

.... ... .. .

Comment

Haha true Satnam, for the most part I am using cheap speakers in my house for multiple reasons. Kids are more then likely going to wreck them and by the time I want new speakers they are going to be a lot cheaper then they are now. M
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by Billip View Post
                We are lucky to live in Canada because there are a few very good Canadian speakers companies (Energy/Paradigm/etc.)
                Unfortuneately you will have to take Energy off of the "Canadian" list. API (mother company of Energy, Athena, and Mirage) got purchased by Klipsh late in 2006. The majority of the sound engineers that made the Energy and Mirage speakers what they were quit.

Good on you for picking up the C3's Billip, those are amazing speakers, and for $150 they sound all that much better.

Kor, what are you using for speakers?
                Jeff
                2006 Jetta TDI

"If you think you don't like change, you will like obsolesence even less."

Comment

Originally posted by hifiguy View Post
                  Kor, what are you using for speakers?
                  B&W CM1's, I am very happy with them. I have a subwoofer for < 60hz. They're small but so is my space.
                  Last edited by Kor; 06-15-2007, 11:44 PM.
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                  X