I'm tired of detailing by hand...need PC advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm tired of detailing by hand...need PC advice

I have always detailed my rides by hand and I have ended up with good results, but you can only do so much by hand. Hand products have their limitations and I would like to step up to the big leagues for a better shine.

Can anyone recommend where I can pick up a good PC for a good price? Im not looking for the best, but something easy to use and easy on the pocket.
    Tint sucks

Re: I'm tired of detailing by hand...need PC advice

i ordered from them...good price
    ive only messed around with it a few times but its very simple to use and worth every penny

http://www.eshine.ca/products.php?cat=28

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...-polisher.html
    Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

I bought a turtle wax brand one at walmart for like $30, not sure if the shine is way better but it made my life easier.

IMO the way to get the shine is to follow a more complete process - clay, glaze, wax, etc. If you are just washing and waxing that is why you won't get that deep wet shine.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

^
        i had a turtle wax one before and wouldnt touch one of them ever again after using the pc
        Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

Originally posted by Silverfire View Post
          ^
          i had a turtle wax one before and wouldnt touch one of them ever again after using the pc
          Why? Just curious as I need to pick up something like this but don't know anything about it.
          billip
          2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
            I bought a turtle wax brand one at walmart for like $30, not sure if the shine is way better but it made my life easier.

IMO the way to get the shine is to follow a more complete process - clay, glaze, wax, etc. If you are just washing and waxing that is why you won't get that deep wet shine.
            I like to claybar, then polish and finish with a pure carnuba wax. Like I said, it turns out "good", but far from my what im looking for.

A PC does a much better job polishing compared to polishing by hand. I think this is what is lacking in my process.
            Tint sucks

Comment

IMO if you use a little elbow grease and work in small sections you can get exactly the same finish as with a power polisher. So I don't think a power device does a "better job". Maybe on damaged paint if you are using a true polish or light abrasive it may help you by letting you apply extra force and friction.

The polisher might save you some time - as I said I used a cheap one for a while and it did save me some time but in the end I always finished up every section by hand, just because I like to.

If you have never worked with a glaze, you should really try applying a glaze product to a clean clear-coat, the wax is more to protect than to add shine or depth.

The trouble with the kinds of polishers you are linking is that you can also hurt your paint with them so BE CAREFUL. The PC is dual action not rotary but still! Its a power tool and if you dig in or get some grit on your pad it will magnify problems.
              Last edited by Kor; 03-26-2007, 02:39 PM.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

get a makita. I used to use one when i detailed for work on high end cars. Best you can get. All the high end pads will have the appropriate hook-it backings sold seperately so that you can attach them to the polisher. You dont really need a polisher unless you need to do any cutting, otherwise finding the right combination of waxes that suit your needs will do just fine. Inexperianced people with polishers can often do more harm than good by burning the paint or creating holograms in the paint. Its a risk you run when you introduce heat into the equation.

I cut polish my car about once every year and a half, it is only driven in the summer so it doesn't see a lot of the crap that winters provide. Otherwise a clay bar every month and a bit along with a few layers of different wax will bring out the shine.

I use a combination of Zymol, autoglym and meguirs products on my car depending on what needs to be done. Meguirs can be found at cdn tire (some of it) others I buy from my old shop in Vancouver I used to work for, but there is a website that sells details stuff for cheap as well.

You know its really funny, when you detail cars for your job, you get lazy with your own because the last thing you want to do is do more work when you get home haha
                Team Highschool
                Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Working...
                X