X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking help...

hey guys,

here's what I'm trying to do:

i have 2 "reception pc's" and 5 workstations all running windows XP Pro.

i want the 2 reception pc's to share files between each other as well as access and change documents on all of the other 5 workstations. however i do NOT want the 5 workstations to be able to or change any one elses' doc's. I have been struggling with this for few days now and I'm about to snap. Any pointer, tip, tricks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) 2007 Candy white MKV GTI. DSG, votex kit, 19" Privat netz, tinted tails, smoked side markers & mirror signals, 20% tint, TT stubby, APR sport 3" turbo back exhaust, ABD stage 2 cold air intake. GONE.
    2) 1993 Green Corrado VR6. ABD intake. FK Silverline coils, Zimmerman cross drilled & slotted rotors. GONE.

Re: Networking help...

you'll need a user/pass for the 2 the level of acces needed on the reception pc's, and another user/pass for the others. Then you'll just have to go assign permissions to the various folders. You won't be giving the workstations access, rather the users. Since you dont have a central server that controls permissions, I think you will have to set up the 2 accounts on each station though. If i am user 'stefan', then I will take on the permissions of user 'stefan' on each pc i connect to. if that pc doesn't have an account called 'stefan', it wont be able to associate that user with a set of permissions. The user name you log on to your computer with will be carried to each computer you connect to. In an environment with a server, the user info and permissions are stored server-side, and when you log in your permissions are assigned by the server. Since you dont have a server, each pc is going to have to be able to assign permissions, and therefor have the same user/password set up on each one (one user/pass for reception, and one user/pass for the others).

**might want to wait for confirmation on this....
    Last edited by stefan; 03-13-2007, 12:22 PM.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

It'd probably be easier just to put the 2 reception PCs in a workgroup on their own (assuming the other 3 pc's dont need to communicate with reception) and bust a share open
      REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
      -james

Comment

Makes sense, I was having an issue that if I shared the folder all of the other comps could see the folders in the network neighbourhood, however no one could access the folder unless I added "NETWORK" to the security settings in properties for the folder, but then... EVERYONE could access with full control. grrr, so basically what you're telling me is that if I say, set up "joe" on all of the comps with the same password and then set "joe" with administrative contol on each computer that user (Joe) should be able to access the shared docs on say, (bob) from his own computer?
        1) 2007 Candy white MKV GTI. DSG, votex kit, 19" Privat netz, tinted tails, smoked side markers & mirror signals, 20% tint, TT stubby, APR sport 3" turbo back exhaust, ABD stage 2 cold air intake. GONE.
        2) 1993 Green Corrado VR6. ABD intake. FK Silverline coils, Zimmerman cross drilled & slotted rotors. GONE.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
          It'd probably be easier just to put the 2 reception PCs in a workgroup on their own (assuming the other 3 pc's dont need to communicate with reception) and bust a share open
          yea but, i also need the 2 reception comps to be able to access and change documents on all of the other 5 pc's

Comment

Originally posted by Bullfrog View Post
            Makes sense, I was having an issue that if I shared the folder all of the other comps could see the folders in the network neighbourhood, however no one could access the folder unless I added "NETWORK" to the security settings in properties for the folder, but then... EVERYONE could access with full control. grrr, so basically what you're telling me is that if I say, set up "joe" on all of the comps with the same password and then set "joe" with administrative contol on each computer that user (Joe) should be able to access the shared docs on say, (bob) from his own computer?
            i have done this with 3 computers, my desktop, a game server, and my laptop. I then shared all of the c:\ on the game server and gave user 'stefan' full permissions. So now, if I connect to the game server from either my desktop or laptop, while logged in as 'stefan', I can access the c drive on the game server. If my brother , for example, comes by, with his laptop, and logs in as himself, I believe he will see the shared c:\ if he is on the same workgroup, but not have access.
            Last edited by stefan; 03-13-2007, 12:48 PM.
            Stefan
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

that sounds right to me.
              you would have to assign the users to each computer and the assign rights to the desired folder with that user name. when a person logs on to his/her PC and tries to access the remote one it will send his user details with the attempt. if they correspond to the user rights assigned to the folder they should have access.

describing it is the easy part, doing it is never straight forward :(
              Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

I would give that a try Jer. If not tell them open the wallet and buy a server.
                Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                You dig sucka?!

Comment

Start --> Run --> Dcpromo

hah
                  REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                  -james

Comment

Thanks for all of the help guys, I'll let you all know when I'm done with this headache later tonight.

Comment

Hey stephan, thanks so much for all of your help dude, ot all worked as you said it would. drinks on me at the next meet! thanks so much, my networking headache is gone. mad props man... mad, mad, props.

Comment

lol james

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                          Start --> Run --> Dcpromo

hah

hahaha agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullfrog View Post
                            Hey stephan, thanks so much for all of your help dude, ot all worked as you said it would. drinks on me at the next meet! thanks so much, my networking headache is gone. mad props man... mad, mad, props.
                            no prob, glad it worked.
                            Stefan
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                            X