DSG vs. Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DSG vs. Manual

For sure... I'm lucky in that; a) i have nobody to appease by myself, b) i don't drive to work or even daily drive for that matter... i only drive for fun for the most part, and c) i don't give a crap what anybody else thinks of my choice in transmission.
    billip
    2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

is its not een a daily driver then go with manual ull never be stuck in traffic with a sore leg so there are no negatives to it

Comment

manual for sure. dsg would get old rather quickly.

Present
        2010 Audi A4 S-Line
        2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
        2003 VW Jetta GLI
        1992 VW Jetta GL
        1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

my buddy owns a dsg gli and yeah he wants manual now so bad it does get old.

Comment

I woulda said "manual no question" but i actually drove my moms wagon with the DSG for the first time the other day...Was a blast!

Granted, it may get old..but so does driving a stick in traffic
            REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
            -james

Comment

I've gotta say, I went with the DSG and I test drove the GLI in both the manual and DSG. Mine is a commuter so the DSG is good for traffic and while I certainly miss the clutch pedal, the paddle shifters are pretty damn cool and its very quick.

If it was any other transmission other than a DSG I'd go with a manual, but coming up to a corner and downshifting F1 style with the paddles and then powering back out after the apex with the DSG is a blast.
              Road Runner
              Le Mans Blue BMW 135i- M sport Package

Comment

I have been thinking about this a lot, and I think that even if I missed the manual feel of slamming the shifter into gears and operating the clutch, I would be mollified by knowing that my car was that much faster and that I was getting the fastest, most unbeatable gear changes.

With the manual you can do rev matching when you down shift, how does down shifting work on the DSG for cornering/braking?
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                  I have been thinking about this a lot, and I think that even if I missed the manual feel of slamming the shifter into gears and operating the clutch, I would be mollified by knowing that my car was that much faster and that I was getting the fastest, most unbeatable gear changes.

With the manual you can do rev matching when you down shift, how does down shifting work on the DSG for cornering/braking?
                  Downshifts with DSG automatically blip the throttle to provide perfect rev matching every time. It's pretty slick.

If my car was a daily driver and I sat in traffic a lot, DSG is something I would consider a lot more... but I'm lucky in that, for the most part, I only drive for fun and when I want to, so I don't sit in too much traffic. Part of me will always wonder how great DSG would have been... accelerating perfectly out of a corner and such, but I know how bored I get in an automatic car. So I guess I'm willing to sacrifice perfect shifts for fun.
                  billip
                  2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Yes automatic cars do suck and its nice to take some pride in your own ability to shift, or in that one corner where you feel like you took it perfectly.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                    X