DSG vs. Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSG vs. Manual

I know this has been beaten into the ground, but I'm wondering which you would buy today?

I'm considering a new purchase (yes, I do realize that I just got a new car)... but I am faced with this decision. I've always had manual transmission cars and very much enjoy the enjoyment it brings... they way you feel like you're REALLY driving the car. But I'll admit that I am a pretty sh!tty manual shifter... I seem to just not be the best at it. Jerky sometimes... can't heal-toe at all... etc. So do I get a DSG? I know for sure it will be better at shifting then I will ever be, but will it remove the "fun" from driving? Anyone here gone through this situation?
    billip
    2013 Audi RS 5

Re: DSG vs. Manual

I find that the DSG is nifty, but I'd much rather drive a 5 speed. As fast as the DSG can shift, it's still an automatic
    I'd like to make a statment!
    2012 Q5
    2011 A5

Comment

depends on what you want.. if i had kids and had to haul them around i think i'd go DSG because you can let it shift if you have issues with the little ones..
      or if i lived where the traffic is lame (wait we do ahah) anyways if i had to sit in stop/go i'd almost want DSG because having to clutch in/out is a pita during stop/go traffic..

i'll still get manuals as long as i can tho

ps.. what you thinking of getting ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
        ps.. what you thinking of getting ?
        I'm keeping it on the down-low until I talk to Glenmore Audi in a couple of days.
        billip
        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the DSG simply because it's got no drivetrain loss like an automatic, and it shifts faster than most humans. And after playing so many rally/racing sims on the comp with the paddles, I don't think it's much "fun loss". Perfect up and downshifts count.

However, I've never had the question answered about when you're crawling along in traffic, are the clutches just slipping away, or what. What's the mechanism for super slow crawling? Cause you can wipe a clutch pretty quick riding it. I haven't seen the replacement/repair bill, but I'd imagine it's horrible.

Also, the servicing of the DSG is pretty steep. The oil is something like 40 dollars a bottle and you need like 5 of them, and it's done every few years. I forget the exact specifics, sorry.

Khyron
          Last edited by Khyron; 03-02-2007, 12:49 AM.
          Geoff
          Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

i would say that a manual is the better transmission only b/c it is more fun to drive i have driven both dsg and manual i own a 07 gti with a 6 speed and my best friend owns a 07 gli with dsg . when is comes down to it my dub has been re flashed and when io race my buddy he is right beside me the whole time until the govenour hits . his car is 300 lbs heaier than mine and i would say the dsg is the only reason it is anywhere near me. when comes down to it mnual is the way to go. a close family friend of mine from germanys said this about automatic. " in germany they save the autos for handi caped people . lol and yeah it just takes time to get somethign right . this coach at a hockey camp once told me tat it takes a human on average 1000 attempts to do something perfect. so have u tried heel -toein `1000 times and if u have and u still can't do it i guess get the dsg but it really takes away from the driving experience . anyways congrates on getting a new car peace

Comment

Well I think I would choose the manual as well over the DSG. There are a few factors, one is cost, the DSG is a 1500-2000 option generally and could cost considerably more over the life of the car. Now since most of us around here don't usually have the cars too long that may not be a huge factor. Next would be the fact that even with DSG and paddle shifters you still get a fair bit of control it is still not the same experience as driving a manual. I realize the DSG will always be faster but unless you are out street racing every night, who cares although you might get better on the manual then

I just find a manual is a truer driving experience! I know what he is thinking of getting too

On a side note does anyone know if Audi will have an R8 at the Auto and Truck show?
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Track it. Put it in sport mode and it keeps the revs between 4-7K, shifts in .02 seconds (faster than Schumacher). Also, launch control should always beat a manual, as does the 0-60 times. But yah, it's all about what you want and what's fun to you. But performance wise, there's a reason all the top cars are using the flappy paddles.

Khyron
                Geoff
                Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

manual, no question
                  sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
                  His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
                  Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
                  Past:
                  B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
                  B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
                  2004 .:R32 BMP
                  2001.5 Noggy blue s4
                  2000 VW GTI 1.8T
                  1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Personally, I'd go manual.
                    2008 Audi RS4
                    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Obviously you are thinking a step up from the A3, that means S4, RS4, TT?

Manual is more fun for me, I think the novelty of DSG would wear off on me. Plus, manual = respect.

DSG is heavier but...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/video-ds...ed-manual.html

I think DSG wins for performance and probably easier to drive when you don't feel like paying attention too.

Tough call. Depends on your price concerns.
                      Last edited by Kor; 03-02-2007, 12:45 AM.
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

i would probably take dsg cause it's faster. if i were making a 400hp car then a manual, in case the dsg were to blow up, i think it would handle it though.
                        Last edited by bart; 03-02-2007, 12:58 AM.
                        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

I am definitely leaning more towards manual... as the driver involvement is just so much greater. Also, the manual is probably better for future modding (ie: adding a ton of power). I have seen all the Left Lane stuff, and all the reports on how good DSG is though, which is why I gave it a second thought. The idea of being able to go into a corner really fast and have perfect shifts is pretty great, but is also only a small part of the overall experience.

Yes, manual is probably where it's at.

Now to firm up my decision on colour.
                          billip
                          2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a simple car that is easy to drive in crap traffic and still looks deadly. A TDI with an auto would be painful, but somthing else with some more power would be nice.

Comment

This will forever be a tough decision for anyone I think.

I would probably go with DSG but for slightly different reasons. 1 because i'd still have a lot of fun with it but appease the wife who doesn't really want a manual in the next "family" car we get. The one nice thing about it was like you said, put it into a corner and downshift perfectly to pull out.

I don't think the novelty would wear off all that quick as I think you'll always be amazed at how well it performs.

There are valid concerns though, maintenance being one of them. And I'd be interested in how it does in stop and go traffic also. Kris is also right in that people still see it as an "auto" which means you wouldn't get the respect. I think the respect thing is kind of funny though because i'm picturing someone looking into a Veyron, look inside and say "Awww who would order that in an automatic!"
                              Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X