Using a PC as a Satellite Receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a PC as a Satellite Receiver

I had the post up here before asking what was the best TV for the Dollar, I ended up with a Sharp 42” LCD, It’s an amazing TV and I quite pleased with it. Thanks to everyone’s for the opinions and information that salesmen would never deliver.

The next item on my list of crap to do is find a way to use my Media Center as a Satellite Receiver, I want to watch some HD Channels, but I don’t watch enough of TV to really justify paying for it. A dish is easy to come across; I already have a PC connected to my TV, if all I have to do is buy a tuner card that would be great. I know it’s been done, you can use one of those monster Dishes and connect to free-to-air Satellites. Finding info for North American Satellite systems is tough. Any help would be great!

Re: Using a PC as a Satellite Receiver

I looked for a starchoice card a bit, never found anything...doesn't mean its not out there though...

Comment

mythtv is what you want.. better know linux tho

Comment

DVB's aren't worth the hassel. Just got to memory expresses corperate office and buy yourself a viewsat FTA reciever, they are cheap and easy to set up. BTW not many DVB's or recievers will give you HD if any. Ohh and there are no free to air HD channels.
        Last edited by Stonewall; 02-23-2007, 01:11 PM.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

yea free to air are good.. they have new viewsat free to air HDs out nwo too

Comment

we still have that pansat you saw, the 2700A, still working... not hd though, you can get HD fta receivers now i think
            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Sure there are a couple FTA HD receivers but there are no HD free to are channels. Now if you plan to use it for other grey purposes then yes HD all the way.
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I guess free satellite is great in Europe, but not as great here in Canada. Maybe I'll leave this idea for a few years.

Comment

Working...
                X