Network troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network troubles

I'm having lots of troubles recently with my router.....Its a Dlink DI-624, have had it about a year now.....Used wireless primarily, recently started using direct for my PC.....In the last few days, the router has been dropping the connection (balloon will pop up saying "cable unplugged"), and it will freeze the net, and start working again in a couple minutes when the computer re-aquires the connection. THis repeats over and over again, its really annoying...some times I have to reboot my router/modem/VOIP box to make it work again....I also upgraded the router firmware, which worked for a day and it started again...

I have my computers set up to static IP's just for torrent port forwarding. I disabled my WEP keys and am using MAC filtering only now. I have the VOIP box inbetween the router and modem so the phone doesn't pass thru the router....

Before I would only have to reboot all the devices when I have been downloading torrents for a while (especially bad with Azeurus), my torrents would still be downloading, but nothing would come up when surfing the web....I now use uTorrent, and it doesn't do that anymore.....

Is it possible my router is burned out? I'm a moderate downloader, I would say 30-50gig/month outside of surfing around..I have a 7MB cable connection...I read some routers are unable to process that much throughput, and I may need a gaming router for the increased bandwidth?

Or is it possible my Modem has gone bad? Any help is appreciated! Thanks...
    Last edited by Aleks; 02-09-2007, 04:44 PM.
    2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
    2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
    2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Re: Network troubles

are ya 100% sure about the cabling? only ask because i spent forever diagnosing a similar thing for my brother, and in the end , one of the lengths of cat-5e was damaged, and i guess small vibrations were breaking the connection at times.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

- Reset the router including all settings
      - Flash it if there is a firmware update out there
      - Buy new cables or replace the cables (even if you think they're fine)
      - Try your PC attached to your cable modem/dsl modem and see if you still see disconnects, it could be your ISP being flaky and your router just not knowing what to do.

Just some ideas.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

well, I hate to replace the cable, it is less than a month old......I have bypassed the router for the time being to see if the problem persists....using the same cable....so far not too bad....I'll try a reset shortly, I just have to save my presets and stuff so I can just upload them and have everything the same....
        2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
        2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
        2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

sometimes you do get a bad cable.... they don't always get crimped right. Oh well, try what you can without spending money first.
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
          X