Question for the local computer gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for the local computer gurus

Haha ok I'll wait till one of my coworkers leave their desks and key it on their system
    I'd like to make a statment!
    2012 Q5
    2011 A5

Comment

Originally posted by bart View Post
      i have a cpsc degree
      I have 2

Edit: pwned?

just messing with you bart
      Last edited by Kor; 01-18-2007, 06:33 PM.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

OK before you go for it mitch is it CS or CS source your playing?
        Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Just CS 1.6
          2012 Q5
          2011 A5

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
            I have 2

Edit: pwned?

just messing with you bart
            ahah.
            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Hey Kordain, there wasn't any PCs or anything on that guy's ebay store...
              2012 Q5
              2011 A5

Comment

hmmm, not sure why it didnt work, I see 3 pcs on there right now. Try this link srry

http://stores.ebay.ca/mindyourebusiness_W0QQ

his user name is mindyourebusiness. hes always got a **** loads of ipods on there and its always high quality, if there are any probs, ie its not new he will always state it in the discription, ive got a bunch of stuff from him all 100% no probs but theres no guarantee what he will ahve in at any given time.

K..

CS1.6 would run fine on most pcs now but if your in XP id get 512mb ram as a min.
                Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Well I guess I'll chime in on this subject. I feel I have some experience after being in pretty much all aspects of the IT industry for about 15 years.

Don't listen to Bart. He is talking shi!t. I agree completely with Kris that you should have 1GB at a minimum, 2GB preferably. Don't buy a Celeron - they are pretty much the slowest processors money can buy. I recommend Dell, especially if you don't know too much about computers because they are fairly well built, have good warrantys and on site service. You should be able to build a fairly decent one for around $1000, maybe a little more if you want a better video card and display.

But just my $0.02.
                  billip
                  2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Historically I've overkilled everything when it comes to computers...amongst others... Mostly I do mapping, database work and photo editing on my machine. Last time I opted to go the Sony route and went for a dual core celeron with lots of ram. To me the bottom line is, processing power is grossly beyond what we require day to day and you can save yourself a lot of money by not overdoing the processer. Get a quality case and a good display with lots of ram in a notebook and you'll never be happier.

FYI, when it comes to graphics, there's only a couple manufacturer's that have dual tube laptop displays. Fujitsu has it and some sony (oh, and Mac) models do. Don't get me wrong, I despise Sony but the display is amazing (you have to find the dual tube display models) and the case is excellent quality.

My $.01.

This is the model I went for:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...n100299n100304

You can get much cheaper models with smaller hd's and less ports. I wasn't willing to give up s-video out and firewire. And no, Sony isn't the cheapest.
                    Last edited by kuhli; 01-19-2007, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I'll agree that processor speed isn't as important as RAM load, but if you want to maximize the future capabilities of your system, it's best to buy a little (but not too far) beyond today. For example, if you ever want to run Vista you better get a seriously powerful machine.
                      billip
                      2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

haha what the hell are you talkin about bart?

A celeron is a budget processor, and more ram is ALWAYS better
                        REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                        -james

Comment

Originally posted by Billip View Post
                          I'll agree that processor speed isn't as important as RAM load, but if you want to maximize the future capabilities of your system, it's best to buy a little (but not too far) beyond today. For example, if you ever want to run Vista you better get a seriously powerful machine.
                          I agree, I got a 2.6GHz P4 Dell almost 3 years ago, all I've done is add some ram and it's still going strong.

Comment

Just a note that windows is horrible.
                            sigpicmount your bug

Comment

You're right, longevity is achieved by paying a bit more. There is a point of diminishing returns. In theory my machine is Vista capable, there's two versions, Vista and Vista "something", something being a 'better' stamp. In other words the machine will run Vista well, whereas mine will just run it!

I imagine ram will solve things, but I'll have to wait and see. Good point Billip.

Comment

i have a dual Opteron 254 machine with 4 gb of ram, a Quadro FX 4500 vid card, and scsi storage. Seems smooth.

..of course, 2000$ for a vid card isn't much of an option for a home computer. I bet it would CS good though!
                                Last edited by stefan; 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM.
                                Stefan
                                -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                                -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                                -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                                -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                                X