Question for the local computer gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for the local computer gurus

make sure you get a celeron processor, they speed games up quite a bit. no don't get more then 512mb, cause CS isn't bigger then that, so what will happen is that if you have 1 or 2gb of memory it will take longer for the game to find all of its files in that space and the performance will be worse.
    Last edited by bart; 01-18-2007, 05:42 PM.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

I'm willing to be my laptop has less than 512 and it runs the game and everything just great. It's also a good 2-3 years old.

bart what's your opinion of dell computers?
      I'd like to make a statment!
      2012 Q5
      2011 A5

Comment

yes dells are good, i have one. if you can 256mb is optimal, but they don't offer those anymore. so 512 it is!
        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Cool. So far I'll go with that one, got a buddy who builds PCs so I need to speak with him first.
          Anything else you'd recommend to upgrade? I was gonna get a speaker upgrade with a sub and stuff too...
          2012 Q5
          2011 A5

Comment

Bart: no.

Performance will not be worse with more memory. Get 1gb of memory min in anything you buy.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

CS was designed a long time ago, (half life to be exact, since it runs off that engine), back then computers had a FSB of like 100mhz or something. now FSB's are something like 166 for 333mhz ram (DDR), so when you get a new comp, go into bios and edit the FSB clock multiplier thingy to 100mhz, CS will like that, otherwise the CPU will have to do lots of extra processing that is unnecessary, and can potentially overheat and damage it.
              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Who to trust?
                2012 Q5
                2011 A5

Comment

kor is right if you are doing lots of things at once, then you need lots of memory, but you cant use msn and play cs at the same time, so its optimal to get less memory.
                  2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                  2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Dell are ok but the problem is they arent upgradable to any real extent. they sell them using the bare minimum specs and aged mobo that they can get away with to be competative in the perfromance market at that time, its very unlikely that you will be able to put a better chip or much ram in there in the future and your rig would be out of date fairly quickly, but thats why they are cheaper.

If your gaming and playing CS (CS source in particular) then you need a 1Gb ram really, XP needs 256 min and 512Mb recommended on its own to perform properly without even running decent software on top.

Before you jump in and buy a dell there is a local guy who sells PCs and top end electronics on ebay, He is really reliable and can get a range of stuff on the go. Check him out n see what hes got in, you never know... and theres no delivery charge coz hes just round the corner.
                    http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQfrppZ50QQ...dyourebusiness

Also HP have started to take the market off dell recently, you may want to see what they have , cant comment on their systems though ive never used one, Dells? ive gone through far too many and never had a problem with em! taht wasnt fixed quickly by a tech visit.
                    Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Got to go with Kor and against bart on the above comments, i run a v high top end game rig and have built many in the past and deal witht he crap all day at work
                      Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

i have a cpsc degree
                        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Haha
                          bart i'll give you my credit card go buy me something nice
                          2012 Q5
                          2011 A5

Comment

how about you minimize IE right now, and go into my scotia bank account and add a few zeros to my account?
                            2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                            2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

The funny thing is, I actually have the power to do that.
                              But I do like my job
                              2012 Q5
                              2011 A5

Comment

it will be our little secret, then i will make the best CS gaming machine ever!
                                -Celeron 1.2GHZ
                                -256MB EDO Double Din DDR 177.5-pin Rambus Ram
                                -PCI-Express 1x AGP Geforce with 640K hyperthreading memory
                                -and a 64bit LAN Connection for super fast network and online play
                                + the other misc stuff...
                                2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                                2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Working...
                                X