need some paypal/ebay advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some paypal/ebay advice

Hi guys i about a month ago sold something on ebay, (used laptop) went for about $600 something so everything is good, buyer pays using paypal and i ship the item. I offered him optional insurance for $3 which would of obviosuly cover his full amount purchased through canada post if the package was to get lost. He declines so just pays for the item and pays for standard shipping.

So i go ship the package and when the lady asks for insurance i say no because my buyer said no. Also i under estimated the amount of shipping and charged him less so i was already at a loss there as i had to pay extra to cover even standard shipping myself.

Now a month later he still has not recieved the package and is wanting a full refund. Who should be at a loss here, me the seller or the buyer who refused insurance? I have over 60+ satisfied buyers with 100% positive feedback and this is the first time ive had such a problem. I really need someones opionion on this. please

thanks
    Last edited by forreal; 01-15-2007, 09:31 AM.

Re: need some paypal/ebay advice

im thinkin if you have it in writing that he declined insurance it will be his loss as long as u have proof of shipment still?

i find though when using canada post even if they dont want insurance ill pay the couple bucks just for a tracking number as then your ass is covered also or people can get the package then claim they never did and you cant tell if they have or not.
    Dayle

GTI

Mk3's

Comment

proof of shipment, thats my problem like i shipped the item a month ago and never heard form him so i thought all was good so i threw away the reciept and now a month later hes like i havent recieved it and since i dont have the reciept and he knows i dont have it he could just lie his ass off and get a refund?

Comment

I have a bad feeling your gonna get screwed some way... at worst you pay for the computer, at best you have a negative rating on eBay.

Suggestions for the future:

1. Always insure packages.
        2. Never throw out shipping receipts.
        3. Always require a signature upon receipt.

Sorry to hear about this.
        billip
        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Make sure there's no funds in your paypal account :P
          I'd like to make a statment!
          2012 Q5
          2011 A5

Comment

don't know how exactly you sent it. if they printed up any kind of shipping label for your package, there is a chance they have record of it. It may not be a huge chance, but worth a call to canada post. if you sent it basic parcel post with a bunch of stamps, then its pretty hard to track.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitcheh View Post
              Make sure there's no funds in your paypal account :P
              hahha i could but then there proably going to charge my credit card or something.

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                don't know how exactly you sent it. if they printed up any kind of shipping label for your package, there is a chance they have record of it. It may not be a huge chance, but worth a call to canada post. if you sent it basic parcel post with a bunch of stamps, then its pretty hard to track.
                I shipped it via standard shipping, and since the buyer never wanted to pay extra 3$ for insurance i refused it at canada post. So i thought since i never paid for insurance there isnt no tracking number and just threw away the reciept.

I called canada post and went to that particular post office they both said im out of luck, and that they go through a million packages blah blah and theres no way of tracking it witouth a reciept or something

Comment

Did you pay debut? Then you would have the exact time and date.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

update: paypal went ahead and placed a hold on the full amount $600 from my account and are giving me 2 options.
                    1. Issue a full refund
                    2. Provide tracking information

Well there you go..waste job. To top if off it wasnt even my laptop, it was my sisters, she wanted to upgrade to another model so i told her id sell it for her. Now her laptops gone, and the buyers money gone back to him/her and ontop of that im still going to have to give my sister the money, i wouldnt feel right since im the moron who lost tracking info.
                    Im out $1200 so please guys as stonewall sed always always keep tracking numbers.

Comment

Shoulda spent the funds on something else so your account was empty haha
                      2012 Q5
                      2011 A5

Comment

Originally posted by Mitcheh View Post
                        Shoulda spent the funds on something else so your account was empty haha
                        no no my account is empty like they placed a -$600 balance on my account. But i heard they just mail you an invoice if theres nothing in your account and if you dont pay, then collections.

Comment

Declining insurance is a free gift for the buyer. I get the laptop, claim I never got it, and get the money back. Sellers are the ones taking risks on Ebay. :(

Khyron
                          Geoff
                          Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron View Post
                            Declining insurance is a free gift for the buyer. I get the laptop, claim I never got it, and get the money back. Sellers are the ones taking risks on Ebay. :(

Khyron
                            i always thought it was the other way round like if the buyer declines the insurance, the buyer is out of luck..now i know for next time after i learnt the hard way

thanks everyone

Comment

They are out of luck if you keep your tracking info.
                              2012 Q5
                              2011 A5

Comment

Working...
                              X