TV Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Options

I’m in the Market for a new TV. I’m looking for something in the 40” - 46” range and I will be using it with my media center (the S-video with a 32" CRT makes web pages impossible to read). Lot’s of people here know lots of things and the more advice the better. What’s the best Tube for the dollar? LCD? LCD Projection? DLP? Plasma?

Thanks,

Re: TV Options

if you can live with a bit smaller coscto has a viewsonic 37" LCD with hdmi and the works for 999 right now.. i have the 27" version in my bedroom and its sick

Comment

Bang for the buck I'd say LCD but if you want a bigger screen then LCD Projection is the way to go.
      Last edited by BoraMK4; 01-04-2007, 12:19 PM.
      Got 5?

Comment

I bought an 720p (native) projector with screen (92") at memmory express for $1100 durring boxing week. So far my tests have been awesome with our work laptop driving it. Now I just have to finish my basement so I can use it.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I just got a 46" Sharp Aquios LCD TV and it is amazing......but you gotta pay to play
          Tint sucks

Comment

I think I'm leaning toward an LCD TV. Does sharp make a 42" LCD?
            Last edited by RobG; 01-04-2007, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I don't think so.
              Got 5?

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB View Post
                I think I'm leaning toward an LCD TV. Does sharp make a 42" LCD?
                Yes they do. I almost bought the 42" but the sales guy gave me a good deal for the 46".
                Tint sucks

Comment

My Dad just bought a 52" Sony Bravia XBR LCD but some killer coin, but I have to see it in action still.

I have a Pioneer 42" and have been very happy with it although you have to be careful with the burn-in, mostly with video games though.
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Duby T View Post
                    Yes they do. I almost bought the 42" but the sales guy gave me a good deal for the 46".
                    What does a 42" Sharp go for? Where did you buy?

Comment

We have a Samsung LCD we bought from Best Buy - 40 inch it is awesome.

The sales also told us you have be careful of burn in on these type of TVS. We don't play video games so not a problem for us.
                      Some days you step in it, some days you don't.

Comment

The best TV *for the dollar* is DLP right now, DLP is kind of on the way out and so you can get a rear projection DLP TV for next to nothing. Obviously a nice LCD or Plasma TV has many advantages, but you are basically paying *double*.

I'm still holding out for an LCD or Plasma but I am just saying that for a fixed amount of money or for a budget TV it is hard to argue with the low price of DLP TV's. The way many people set their TV up, there is little to no difference. Also they are making DLP TV's so thin that guests to your home can't tell the difference.

I've played with a new 50" dlp next to a 42" lcd, the dlp tv cost around $1500 and the lcd cost around $2200. Because of the size differences, there is no contest, watching the DLP TV is more fun. Its more fun for wii also. And it was way way cheaper.

I am probably going to get flamed for this post! But seriously I stand by it, most people would be happier with the dlp tv. Also, if you buy a cheap ass LCD or Plasma, I guarantee it will look worse than a decent DLP TV and STILL cost more. As Duby T says, you have to pay to play. If you want to get into an LCD TV at 42" I would say you are looking at $2500CAD minimum and up.

If you buy an LCD TV I highly highly recommend getting a 1080p resolution TV, simply because these LCD panels are generally the better ones even if you never watch a 1080p source.

If you buy a plasma TV, you should probably get a 1366 x 768 pixel display unit and get the highest contrast you can.

I would buy LCD under 46", either at around 46" and Plasma 50" and up.

I've been saving up for a TV very slowly and I am aiming for a 50" plasma at the moment.
                        Last edited by Kor; 01-05-2007, 04:30 AM.
                        KR
                        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I just bought a 50" plasma and it is incredible. A plasma picture can not be beat right now, it is as good as it gets. LCD is catching up, but still isn't there yet, especially with black levels, colour contrast, off-angle viewing, etc. LCD is brighter though, but I have not noticed any problem with brightness levels on my TV.

Also, LCD does NOT burn in ever, where as plasma TV could, although today a plasma TV is as good as a CRT (old tube) TV. Burn in is also most possible when the TV is new, after a few hundred hours of use it's not remotely as susceptible. Just make sure there are no static images on the screen for the first few hundred hours (TV logos, video game scores/logos, black bars for 4:3 content, etc.)
                          billip
                          2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

AFAIK there are LCD panels out now with very high contrast levels matching plasma, but they probably aren't available down at the best buy.
                            KR
                            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Plasma's are getting much more reasonable these days. I hate the feeling like I got the wrong thing after the money is down. Thanks for all the opinions.

Kor - What's your opinion of LCD Projection?

Comment

Working...
                              X