The Final Smart Journey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final Smart Journey!

Well I have had my 2005 Smart since July 2005 and it has been very good to me, a fun, cheap mostly enjoyable experience, and it has gone through a few phases of looks too.

16" Wheels and lowered

17" Wheels, lowered, exhaust

However the time has come to move on and so back in November I went ahead and ordered a 2010 GTI. I have been trying to sell the Smart now since the beginning of the year, but used cars are taking a pounding at the moment and the Smart market is flooded here so not much interest at all, and I was looking to be stuck with a very low trade in. Then a moderator from a Smart forum decided he was interested for a good price with two conditions; first had to come with the 16" wheels, second I needed to bring the car to him, 900kms away to Abbotsford BC.

Up to this point I have only used my car for city driving with a couple small road trips maybe about an hour away. This trip would be a full day of driving, through mountains in the winter, but I could not pass up the deal so, booked a return plane ticket home, watched the forecast and headed out dark and early Saturday morning.

Car loaded up, need to drive on snows and pack the 16s with me so no co-pilot on this trip!

The first couple hours were dark with lots of ski/snowbaord traffic as I was heading to the big local resorts. When the sun started to come up I was just getting into the first ranges of the Rocky mountains.

First pit stop, was pretty cold here, about -20C I would say

Back on the road in the Lake Louise area, roads a bit slippery

Came into Golden BC, for my first fuel top off and the conditions were not the greatest here in the valley.

Back on the roads heading into the Rogers Pass area and they get some snow up there!

Coming out of the pass I stopped for a second breakfast in Revelstoke which was the last of the snow for a while.

Getting into the interior of BC the Shuswap area is a big summer resort and not too bad in the winter either.

Next I arrived into Kamloops for a lunch, coffee and fuel stop, not much to see here but was no snow on the ground and fairly warm.

After leaving Kamloops you quickly head back up into the mountains which the Smart would not be the quickest at climbing hills, but I was still able to pass the semi's going up hill.

After descending out of the mountains for the last time you arrive into the lower mainland of BC, a great place and home of the upcoming 2010 Winter Olympics although you would not think it be looking around.

Finally I arrived after 10.5 hours on the road and 916kms logged at the cars new home.

I did not fill up on arrival but I can estimate how much fuel would have been needed and I would put a total of 43.495L for my 916 kms so I would put my fuel economy at 49.54 mpgs for the trip. Not bad for a lot of hills and hitting some good speeds at some points along with a pretty full car. I arrived back to snow and -12c after having dinner on the patio Saturday night and now I wait for my new GTI which should be ready for delivery later this week.

Thanks for checking out the thread!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: The Final Smart Journey!

sweet! how much did you end up selling it for

Comment

Nice journal Blair! Can't wait for the GTI though.

Music to permeate your soul …
      Jayson
      MKIV Jetta GLS VR6 -PARTING OUT-

What's Next?

Comment

i love that drive, cool post and nice pics!
        sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
        His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
        Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
        Past:
        B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
        B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
        2004 .:R32 BMP
        2001.5 Noggy blue s4
        2000 VW GTI 1.8T
        1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Good post....
          Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
          2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
          2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

You drove it all the way out and didn't even wash it?

Just poking, looks like a good trip, shame to see it go but can't wait to see the new GTI!
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

The new owner washed it in the parkade of his place before we went for dinner so it was not dirty for long.

I got 7K for the car, not great but not horrible either.
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Awesome post!

That is a really impressive trip to make in a Smart.
                2008 Audi RS4
                2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Worth the road trip and a fun was to say goodbye to a car.

Nice!

Comment

Did you give him the plate too? lol
                    Name: Brent
                    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Nice.

Looked like a nice little trip!
                      Originally posted by RedMile
                      Don't bug the receiver though, he's far to busy to help you out.
                      Originally posted by Smarty39
                      haha, thanks man...I take it you're the receiver lol?

Comment

nice!
                        you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

hottest smart out there!

cant wait to see the GTi this summer!
                          Art || Tornado Red Jetta GLI

Comment

Did he give you a ride back?

If not, I bet if you gave him that plaid shirt he would have!
                            Don't Panic, I'm Hispanic

Comment

Lol, no I flew back Sunday morning, Westjet Abbotsford to Calgary is a reasonable flight. He did give me a place to sleep and took me for a nice steak dinner and dropped me off at the airport at 530am, so I cannot complain.

I did bring the SMRT plate back and I think it may live on still! A GTI is sort of smart
                              Blair

Comment

Working...
                              X