battery or alternator??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery or alternator??

i boosted my baron friday and i accidentally had the cables shorted for a second then realized and fixed..

anyways.. drove the s4 only once this weekend and today going to work the voltage was at 13 then dropped to 8 by the time i got to work and the dash thew a battery error.

did i kill my battery having it shorted? or did is my alternator going? i have a feeling i'll need to get boosted to go home today :/

driving on the highway the voltage wouldn't climb it just kept dropping

Re: battery or alternator??

Sounds like alternator if the power is dropping while driving
    --
    Rod
    Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
    2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

I would say alternator but if you have a volt meter you can easily figure out what is wrong
      Now offering detailing services!! http://www.gtrauto.ca/detailing-services.html

United Motorsport, Kerma TDI, KW, APR, COBB, Magnaflow, K&N, AFE, Motul, Lubromoly, Sonax, Air Lift, HPA, Ohlins, Klutch Wheels, Remus Exhaust

info@gtrauto.ca / www.gtrauto.ca / GTR Auto Facebook

Comment

i do not.. i just want to make it home hahaha.. baron power i guess for the rest of the month

Comment

PS.. is it OK if i pull the positive off the car while its running? i read thats a good way to test if the alternator is indeed giving power

Comment

oh noes!

i drove it around at lunch.. k this is odd

car started fine and this morning when i got to work the voltage levels on the cluster were at 9ish

car starts to 13ish

then starts dropping as soon as i drive.. drops to about 10 then i come back and let it idle and it drops down to 8.5-9! and the abs/esp lights come on too

shut the car off.. and it will not start/acts like the battery is dead

i'n not sure what do do? try another battery? my optima has warranty i just need to find the receipt.

or order an alternator.. hrmm

Comment

even if your battery was crap, the alternator would still charge at a normal rate, no? I think alternator.
              Stefan
              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

start the car. unhook the battery while it's running (disconnect the ground cable) .. if the car still runs, your alternator is fine. if it stops, your alternator is fuxtored

-or-

use the very nice gauge that audi gave you that displays the voltage as being low and know the alternator is screwed
                D.J.
                Turbo SVT Focus
                Audi S4 Stage 3++++++

Comment

I'm going through the same thing on my TDI right now...you should probably check your grounds too.

Hey DJ, isn't there a risk of damaging electronics, if you pull the negative off the post? I was warned against this.
                  Last edited by Geobmx4life; 10-11-2011, 12:40 PM.
                  Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                  Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

grounds are fine.. i think its the alternator :/

just in time to park it for the winter almost anyways.. bah!

best part is the baron has a dead battery right now too LOL.. so i'll need to buy a new one for it as its been going for a while.. crappy tire visit tonight here i come

i love the fact this will the be the 4th time i put the s4 into service mode this summer.. i really should just order some frankenturbos this week too.. i have the monies for it but i'd rather have some extra monies for vacation

Comment

Its the alternator... almost exact same thing happened to me earlier this year. Luckily it died in front of Tunerworks and they replaced it.

Comment

If the voltage is low with the car running, then your alternator isn't charging correctly. You should see 13+ Volts with the car running. If not, the alternator is either toast, or has a bad connection somewhere. I would pull the brushes out of the alternator, and I'm betting they're worn down and are not making direct contact anymore.
                        Jordan
                        Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
                        JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
                        (403) 690-7135
                        jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

jordan can you email me a quote for a new alternator when you can

i made it home BARELY.. right as i got into my neighbourhood the car stereo started turning on/off and the dash lit up like a christmas tree..

tried to start it again and no go.. i'll have to trickle charge my battery tonight and do that test tomorrow and see.. me thinks its the alternator tho.. not a huge deal anyways

Comment

It is most definitely the alternator, they are costly little buggers
                            I may appear to be nice, but don't be fooled, I probably don't like you

Comment

Sure thing.

Email sent.
                              Jordan
                              Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
                              JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
                              (403) 690-7135
                              jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X