X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 60-1 build

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

For someone in law school you really aren't too bright. But then, there are many stupid lawyers so what can i say.

To proclaim this site has gone downhill and to post an opening diatribe like you did simply further shows why you get the flak you get. R-Audi hit it square on the head. As for saying there isn't anything here but pictures and videos, i've done two complete build threads on this site, and graeme has had his share of tech stuff too. Ryan's had build info, and there is lots of good stuff posted.

Why you can't just be happy with having a VW i dont know.
    You know what, I just can't be bothered to give a fiddler's **** as to what you think...
    Last edited by Mister T; 10-11-2011, 11:50 PM.
    "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Comment

Keep posting your car progress...I, as well as a bunch of others are still interested in your build! Again...its an awesome build...and I would love to see it!!! You shoulda done the High-Wood cruise with us!
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Well, I did an ignition system upgrade and went from the AEB ICM system to the type R revision push down coils. I'll say, it makes a huge difference. I can honestly say it's probably a 15-20 whp difference. Not bad for $100. Interestingly enough, boost recovery between shifts has picked up big time. Instead of waiting forever between 2-3 it just shoots up.

My throttle body decided to take a **** on me, so I'm running an old stock one that kinda works, but not 100% But, the good news is that I just picked up a VR6 65mm throttle body. I'm just in the process of making an adapter plate and porting out the intake on my extra AEB manifold. With any luck it'll be in by the end of the week.

Here's the new coil system

Fully sheathed and buttoned up

VAG-COM log with AEB ignition

VAG-COM log with type R coils. Look at how the mass air flow follows the RPM's in 3rd gear directly instead of lagging like in the previous log
        Last edited by Mister T; 10-12-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

nice conversion

you should see a thread i found on AZ 034 has adapter plates for new style coils that pop right in! you still need to do the rewire part but you can buy the fancy new red coils haha the adapters are all nice aluminum,etc very sharp and weren't too expensive if i recall

Comment

Yeah, you mean the FSI coils. While I can see where their lean burn design could offer an advantage, for the $200 that it would cost to do the conversion I'm not 100% sold on how much of an advantage it is. No one has posted any sort of hard before/after evidence. So until then I'm going to reserve judgement. But hey, if they're all that and then some, great. Nothing wrong with more options right?

IIRC, one of the local guys here (Jmacc) just bought a set. He's just finished up his Frankenturbo setup. I figure if he's up for a little testing I'd like to see what kind of difference swapping the R type coils and the FSI ones out makes on both our setups.

Comment

I did end up putting the FSI coils in with a noticeable difference, everything just ran smoother but if someone wants to get together and see if there is something we can log a before and after I would be all for it as I still have my old coils.

Comment

So I got the throttle body in over the weekend Having some idle surge issues, but nothing serious (only 1500 RPM or so) just an annoyance. Should be able to fix it by adjusting the Alpha_N tables.

I also want to give props to Chris and the boys at Calgary Autoworks for helping me out on this one. Actually, those guys have saved my ass parts-wise on a number of occasions through this build. So big up to you guys on that.

I ended up whipping up an adapter plate that let me put the TB almost exactly in it's original orientation. It's cocked about 10 degrees or so. So the throttle cable and pigtail didn't need any alterations. It looks kinda ghetto without the TB attached. But it integrated really nice with everything together.

Also did some port and polish for shits and giggles. Turned out pretty good IMO. The funny thing is that other than matching the gasket dimensions, I had no plan in particular for how I wanted to shape things. I just ran off instinct and let it turn out however it turned out. Kind of a zen thing I know. I just find it strangely soothing.

Last edited by Mister T; 10-17-2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Let me know how your alhpa-n tweaking goes?

I tried but didn't have much success going that route.
                  GT3071R and more...

Comment

Working...
                  X