My 60-1 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 60-1 build

Here it is http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...1-build-(pics)

I wanted to wait until she had her trial by fire. Well she did, and she passed. Mantis was there to see it. End result, it's f*cking fast, end of story...

I didn't post the progress of the build on here because in the past there had been too much ******** that was allowed around here. Mods, you know exactly what I mean and who I'm referring to. I'm not going to elaborate any further.

Fact is, I'm posting this up because I feel that there are people left on this site that actually want to learn and exchange ideas. If any of you want to ask me a legit question, PM me on Audizine. If you don't, then **** off!

Last but not least. Mods, this thread is on Audizine, hear that AU-DI-ZINE. If this thread gets moved to the VW section here, it ceases to exist to any members here who want to ask me any questions or comments.

So, ball's in your court mods. If this site is really about enthusiasts sharing ideas and knowledge. this thread stays here. If it's all about elitist brand whoring, then it gets moved. I have nothing to loose or gain by it. So what's it gonna be?...
    "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Re: My 60-1 build

So why is your Passat in the Audi forum?

Comment

WOW...thats the mosT Audi looking Passat I've ever seen!!! Well done!
      Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
      Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Just gotta say, Hats off! I was talking to you before and been following the thread ever since. The world should take notes on your style
        http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...AL-S605-Thread

Sh@t happens when you party naked

Comment

Well thanks folks, it's much appreciated. BlakMarket, happy to hear about your ride being finished. Crappy to hear it snapped it's flywheel. Sounds like your making progress though. Better something external like a flywheel than a connecting rod.

Comment

Nice work Tyler. Hats off to your perseverance. Love the vintage rotary phone in the camshaft picture from the machine shop
            Work - houzz / linkedin
            Play - haldex swap

Comment

Very nice build. How's the spool? I wouldn't mind checking out your setup sometime.
              GT3071R and more...

Comment

I really dont get what your deal is?
                Your VOLKSWAGON PASSAT looks good.. take it for what it is. Why try to convince anyone that its anything else than what we clearly see it is?
                Don't act like you are doing anyone a huge favor by linking to your AZ post here. I know there are some people that get on your case, but when you start with crap like this its not hard to see why!

Comment

^^^
                  wagEn
                  Jay

Comment

To the constructive/positive comments (yours included R-Audi) thank you very much. It was a hell of a long run to get this thing done right. But when you finally get most of the kinks ironed out and see her run flat out, damn it's a good feeling...

R-Audi: The deal is, it's a B5 platform vehicle. Engine, transmission, suspension, brakes are all from the B5 A4 platform. I post here because I want to have a discussion with people who are interested in the same line of modifying/tuning that I'm interested in.

As for whether or not I'm doing people a favor here depends. If they see a part of that build that they have questions about and would like me to either clarify for them or even give them hands on help with, then damn straight I'm doing them a favor. But I'm doing it because I'm damn grateful that there were a lot of mechanics who took time out of their $100\hr billing days to help me out, so I feel it only right that I return the favor to others who I can help out.

As for the rest of this brand ********, unless you were living without internet for the last 2 years, you know exactly why I'm taking the stance that I am, so don't try and get me to go there. Do you honestly think that my build thread would have gone on without constant ******** comments? Didn't think so...

Not gonna lie dude, I think this forum has taken a real downturn in the last few years. While there are some here who are into the technical end of it and know what they're doing. They are getting farther and fewer as time goes on. Not saying that there's anything wrong with "do these wheels look good?" and "look at this new Audi vid" threads. But when that's all you have, it's pretty thin. Honestly, look at the threads on the Audi BMW forum. Other than BlakMarketClash's 605 build, the rest are pretty much all videos, pictures and some basic maintenance threads.

Why are there so few people doing any serious mods? Maybe because they've just gotten to the point where they feel that posting threads here just isn't worth the hassle. I know that's why I stopped posting here for the most part.
                    Last edited by Mister T; 09-25-2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

i don't think our forums have gone down.. so down to you for saying so!

and wtf counts as 'seriouzzz mods?' not everyone needs to fully build a car.. some people like wheels with no suspension.. whatever floats your boat

but i can agree that the parts are the same so meh.. my bros b5.5 passat shares all the **** with my s4 other than rear suspension so meh...

glad the car is working and is fast

Comment

From my point of view, you know there will be people that say something when you post your build in the Bavaria/Audi section.. yet you keep doing it. Add that to your opening rant and its almost like you are looking to stir things up. See where Im coming from? You go out of your way to get people going, and yet you wonder why people react negatively towards you.
                        There are tons of cars that share platforms, parts etc, it doesnt change the fact what emblem is on the front and back. I don't think this whole brand thing is as big of a deal as you make it out to be, Be proud that you have a nice Passat and run with it!

Comment

Don't worry about the personal bs side of things. Audi's aren't gods gift to the automotive world, if they were than VW wouldn't be building so many different cars under so many different brands. IMO everyone that is seriously into modding cars knows that it is about the work you do, not the car you do it to. Where people take offense is when you or they start preaching otherwise.

At any rate how is the spool? Any dyno numbers? I'm looking to head to the dyno again sometime soon, I have a similar build, with some differences and I'm interested to see how your setup does. I've got an AEB sitting in my storage unit, wondering weather I should keep saving to have some work done or just bolt it on with new valvetrain hardware. It's builds like yours that keep things fresh, take the good with the bad and leave it at that.
                          Last edited by sabbySC; 09-25-2011, 09:41 PM.
                          GT3071R and more...

Comment

Honestly, you have an AMAZING car that YOU built...but I wouldn't put a Porsche engine in my Golf and say its a Porsche...the previous BS was just that...BS...cool car and cool build!!!
                            To somewhat quote Rodney King...can't we all just get along...and stop the BS!
                            BTW...I'm not a big fan of Passats...but thats pretty RAD/DOPE!
                            Last edited by Geobmx4life; 09-25-2011, 10:09 PM.
                            Hers 2009 Audi A4 6sp manual
                            Mine....2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone tuned stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, ST coils, colour matched Huffs. Frostheater

Comment

Sabby, spool's, not bad. However peak boost is pretty high up. It starts building boost (1-3 PSI) around 3000-3500 RPM, 5-6 PSI at 4000 and from 4000-5000 it ramps up from 7-20+ and then holds whatever peak boost you have (20-24 PSI) until 7500 RPM. Honestly, I could probably wind it out to 8500 even with the .48 A/R. At 24 PSI it doesn't feel like it's dropping off at 7500. Interestingly enough, the 4 bolt .48 A/R housing is quite a bit larger than the 5 bolt Ford one that I had from the beginning. I've looked at pics comparing a 4 bolt .48 A/R and .63 A/R turbine housing and there's not the kind of difference that you'd expect.

What's interesting about it though is how linear the boost ramp up is. With any of my other setups, when the turbo spooled up it always peaked somewhere before redline. So as you were driving at 3/4, you could shift short of that mark and the torque would kind of carry you through to the next shift. With the 60-1, it just pulls evenly to redline or stops pulling if you let off 3/4 of the way there. Kind of hard to describe, but if your setup is similar, you'll know what I mean.

What are you running as of now?
                              Last edited by Mister T; 09-25-2011, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X