Audi Wants N.A. Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi Wants N.A. Plant

Audi is looking to expand production into North America and will be making a decision on where and when to do that within the next three years.

In an interview with Automotive News, Audi CEO Rupert Stadler said the brand needs local production in North America if it is going to expand its sales in the region.

"It is totally clear that we need new production capacity in the U.S.," said Stadler. "The question only is when."

Audi is also feeling the pressure of high demand on its current production capacity.

"Our dealers currently ask for more cars than we can deliver. Our delivery times are still too high," said Stadler.

The VW Group is also considering building a new engine and transmission plant in North America which will also supply the Audi brand.

Audi has a goal of reaching 1.5 million unit sales per year globally by 2015 and 2 million by 2020. The Ingolstadt-based brand hopes to sell around 150,000 units in the United States by 2015 and reach 200,000 unit sales there by the end of the decade.

North American production is a must for the VW Group if it is going to expand sales on the continent and do so profitably. The euro-dollar exchange rate has plagued European automakers for much of the last decade and there doesn't seem to be an end to the strong euro. Even given the current debt crisis in Greece which has affected the value of the euro against certain currencies, the euro-dollar rate has remained stubbornly high at around $1.40 for a euro - with the United States experiencing its own debt and budget crisis at the moment too.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Audi Wants N.A. Plant

Good Stuff. I wonder if this means they would consider selling some european models like the A3 Hatch and the A1?
    Patryk
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 340is ///M-Tech II - Under construction
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

that would be cool but i wonder if the quality would go down??

Comment

robots dont care where they work, and frankly cars are world produced now anyway with parts coming from all corners of the globe.

The article eludes to it but a big reason for this is production costs in germany. Unions there are crippling german automakers and industry as a whole, and they are having a hard time competing toe to toe with cheap asian and now north american production figures.
        Team Highschool
        Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I think a large part of the quality issue is more the company itself. We are not finding terrible Toyota quality out of their NA plants. If you have a strong quality program, and a good work environment, you are going to result in a good product.

I wonder if we will see more of the fun models. RS6 or the RS3.

Comment

Well I think with those lofty sales goals we should be seeing a lot of their cars, I hear the A1 will be arriving with the next version, not sure on A3 hatches but I think we should see most of the RS cars.
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

That would be (.)(.)

I'd consider relocating to work there, get out of the oilsands to work somewhere I feel a true connection to the product.
              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
              Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
              Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Working...
              X