'04 S4 repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '04 S4 repairs

I bought an '04 S4 back in July and it only had 54k KMs on it. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

It now was 74k KMs on it, I do live out of town so do have a lot of highway KMs on it. In the last 4 weeks I've had to replace the fuel pump and now have to replace the Flywheel and clutch assembly. I don't drive it overly hard imo and really don't have to do a ton of shifting anyways.

What's your thoughts? It seems odd to me that under 100k I have to replace the clutch and flywheel. That's a pretty pricey repair that I'm already being forced to do.

Do I have a dud? In your experiences, is this the type of maintenance that occurs as a S4 gets close to 100k? I'm fairly new to not only Audis, but German cars as a whole. George is getting to know my S4 a little too well

As a reference, my poor little '99 Acura EL is sitting at 270k KMs and still running on the original clutch.
    A little yellow '04 S4 Avant

Re: '04 S4 repairs

Depends on how you launch and how you shift. I would say that 100k is low, but reasonable.
    Jordan
    Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
    JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
    (403) 690-7135
    jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

Yikes. That's really quick for the clutch to go. I think bad luck is on your side.

Comment

I don't think the car is a dud. Who knows how the previous owner drove the car prior to you? Yeah if you had owned it since new, babied it and the clutch went this early I would say there's a problem however not knowing how the car was driven for the first 54K of its life, its not fair to blame the car!
        Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
        -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
        -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Exactly. If you're taking off from every stop light with the tach at 3000 rpm, the torque from that V8 is going to fry the clutch right quick.
          Jordan
          Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
          JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
          (403) 690-7135
          jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

previous owner was a glenmore tech.. then some rich old lady that had it valet'd i told wiggy it was prolly the valet morons who don't know how to drive that F'd it

me and him and sad so i owe him a beer next week (we work together)

Comment

Sell it to me, you wouldn't even have to go that far to drop it off for me heh.

I think that's pretty low, but it's probably not the cars fault, even if all the drivers had driven it really good it could even be a bad clutch. I'm sure once you change it you'll be good to go for a long time.
              Jay

Comment

yea we're trying to see if he can get a b7 RS4 clutch put in.. not sure if it works or not though..

Comment

I have the same car with 91 000 km now and my clutch is also starting to a little extra noise. Sounds like a bearing. I also had a new fuel pump put in mine, new tie rods, new rotors and pads all way around, starter, there is a big service at that time too, and I have a recall on my coil packs. You had any other problems with the car?
                  Last edited by Dahlmonator; 02-02-2010, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Mines ok at 125k .
                    sigpic

Comment

Mines at approx 100k and seems to be good.... hope I didn't just jinx the ole girl!
                      sigpic

Dirt !

Comment

Well it's all fixed now! I'm not someone to launch it from every light, so I don't think it was me that wore it out.

Ryan had a good point though, if the car had been driven normally for the first 5 years of it's life, would this had been something that might have fallen under the warranty? It's hard to say because it did have so few KMs on it.

So far, I've replaced the front brake pads (which I knew I was going to have to when I purchased it), new fuel pump and now a new clutch assembly and flywheel. Hopefully I'll be good for a little while now.
                        A little yellow '04 S4 Avant

Comment

Did you do the repairs by yourself?
                          Any details?
                          - cost - parts, labor
                          - place

Comment

tunedub

cost was 1 soul and a half pint of gypsy tears
                            Last edited by R_Ethug; 02-05-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

you got away with a half pint? mine was full pint of VIRGIN gypsy tears.

should see what they wanted for allroad suspension. has to do with "moonflow" and "bones of were-to-be-born children".
                              Jess

2010 Jetta TDI 6 SPD - Stock Comfortline model

Comment

Working...
                              X