front engine chatter/noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front engine chatter/noise

well when i start my car in the morning when its really cold my motor has alot of chatter/noise coming from the front of it, down by the belts, not sure if its the tensioner or what it could be, ill try and get a vid for you guys later, any ideas? it seems to quite down when its warmer, but maybe its me just hoping its quiter, either way it doesn't sound good.

Fack!
    Kevin

2000 s4, Custom vast stg2+, piggie pipes, ssac catback, evoms intake, 710n's, eibach sportline springs, RS4 Reps, VDO boost guage

Re: front engine chatter/noise

Sounds like a pulley to me. Although there are several possibilities, my bet goes to the Acc. belt tensioner.
    Jordan
    Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
    JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
    (403) 690-7135
    jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

thats a *****, it must be getting lose, because it sounds like it is getting louder, which would piss me off cuz i got my timing belt done 20k ago.
      Kevin

2000 s4, Custom vast stg2+, piggie pipes, ssac catback, evoms intake, 710n's, eibach sportline springs, RS4 Reps, VDO boost guage

Comment

If it's a squeaky chatter, then the pulley bearing is most likely wearing out, not getting loose. You will need to replace it. The best thing to do is use a mechanics stethoscope to touch the different accessories and find which one is making the noise while the car is running. Be careful not to hit the pulleys themselves while the car is running! (just touch the metal next to the pulley)
        Jordan
        Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

haha thanks jordan, im gonna take a look here when its warmer out. to damn cold in this city for my likings, its not affecting drivability or anything.. yet, but the noise just makes it sound kinda ghetto. I found my coolant leak today at least! Woot WOOT!
          Kevin

Comment

Nice, where was the leak coming from?
            Jordan
            Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

well i went out this morning started the car and let it warm up, overflow was completely empty.. as soon i filled it up it started steaming instantly, so its either a crack in my overflow or in a hose coming off of it! ill invesitage when it hits a couple degree this week, hopefully its an easy hose to get to. so at least i know its not my waterpump!
              Kevin

Comment

That's good! Have you tried replacing your reservoir cap? It's very common for the internal gasket to get old and stop providing a seal.
                Jordan
                Jerbel Autowerks

(403) 690-7135

Comment

have yet to try it but i can feel the differnce in pressure when i do take the cap off, so it feels like it holds pressure fine, ill examine it here soon, the car has a few leaks here and there i will be getting fixed soon. lol gotta love the endless money pit though! dumped enough money into my s4 already was another grand or so. sigh..
                  Kevin

Comment

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=100_1392.flv

this is the noise im talking about.
                    Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X