fark me on the cost.. and i thought the S was bad

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=turbo+lady

Re: bmw turbo lady ahoy!

15K?! Ouch!!!
    Rob

Brilliant Black 2000 S4

Comment

Funny how one story turns into "oh no, BMW turbos are crap and can't handle the power" and "don't get aggressive software because its dangerous for your motor"

Think about how many people drive 335's/135's with aggressive after market tunes. If what that guy says is true, we would see a sh!t load of threads about people bitching about how much they gotta spend on fixing their cars.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but we don't really know a number of factors that could have caused this to happen.
      Tint sucks

Comment

same with the s4.. treat it well.. you can still have aggro software and the car is fine..

true something else could have killed it.. this is the first case i've ever heard about

Comment

I don't know, I think there could be some truth to this. I've read about 6 pages in and it seems like a lot of them are holding their hands over their ears going "la la la I can't hear you". The turbos in that youtube video were shot. Anyone who's ever blown a turbo knows that sound (present company included).

From what I know, those BMW turbos are tiny. Now, so are our K03's and they can take 15 PSI (apples to oranges I know). The difference is that those engines are direct injection. It wouldn't surprise me if they were overheating and warping/melting the turbines. The Mazdaspeed 3/6's have been having problems with their direct injection melting turbines as a result of over-rich running conditions.

Again, I realize that Mazda uses a different DI system than BMW. However if a manufacturer can have problems with an OEM tune, then I think that a tuner could too. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that most of those with damage had it happen as the result of multiple back to back pulls that allowed the EGT's to rise past critical levels. Whereas the people that are running 15 PSI with no problems probably have enough brains to give the turbo/manifold time to shed some heat between pulls.
          "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Comment

direct injection?? i don't get you mean like FSI in the new VAG motors? or TSI or whatever you can't to call it now??

ps that above one is completely F"D!!!!

Comment

Exactly like the FSI. Problem is that they're really finicky systems. Don't get me wrong, I think they've got enormous potential. However, I think that the margin for tuning error is substantially smaller than with a port injection engine. Where I think some of these tuners may be running into issues is if they give the owners some say over the tuning settings (a la Lemmi). The narrow operating parameters may mean that individual variables (operator, fuel, altitude, ambient temps etc...) that were not significant enough to cause failures in port injection engines may be significant enough to cause failures in DI engines.

Comment

Here's the thing - yes tons of people run aggressive tunes on 135's.

For about a year.

After 2 years? 3? Nobody is there yet.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

ryan FSI was the 1st gen 2.0t up to 2008. from 2009+ its now called TSI, or TFSI. they reworked some things, lower compression, made it better. basically you can big turbo a TSI easier than the old engine. its more reliable and you replace less parts, no need for new injectors anymore is one example.
                  Last edited by bart; 10-13-2009, 04:35 AM.
                  2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                  2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

just put on a nice set of rims and enjoy your bmw . mabey a chip . but it better be a dinian for warranty purpose
                    sigpic

Comment

i agree there chris..

Comment

x2 with Chris
                        Current: Golf R and a corporate lease nobody cares about

Comment

Thought that I would post the link for the fried turbine pic above. It's a really well written article on some the issues that Mazda has been having with their direct injection systems.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=120842.0

Comment

I love peace of mind...
                            12 VW Golf
                            09 BMW 135i
                            07 MKV GTI
                            03 Jetta GLI
                            01 Jetta GLS
                            90 Jetta GL

Comment

Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right.

Comment

Working...
                              X