Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell does an AEB cam sensor really do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell does an AEB cam sensor really do?

So I decided to make a spot check on my timing belt Tuesday. While I was pulling the cover off I disconnected the cam position sensor clip. The weather suddenly changed and to avoid the coming apocalypse I threw everything together and plum forgot to put the sensor clip in.

I started it up and drove to Kung-Fu with no problems of CEL. After class I get in and start it up. It barely caught and started after some lugging (par for the course at the present time). I then get a CEL, I ignore it because I figured that the ECU registered a bunch of misfires during the startup.

So 2 days later I hook up the 'ol laptop because I was getting sick of the CEL. Find out that it's the cam sensor, smack head and put it back on.

So during the 2 days I didn't really notice any diffeence. I had 2 times where it seemed really laggy and then when the power came on it bucked hard. I dialed my W/M back thinking that was the issue, and it may have been because it never happened again.

Sooo what the hell does a cam sensor on an AEB (no VVT) do for a living?

Based on what I saw I think that it has more of an influence on part throttle timing advance. Once I hooked it back up, part throttle seemed to have more snap. However WOT didn't change much. This would be consistent with the AEB's open loop operation during WOT conditions. The closed loop part throttle operation seems more likely to include cam sensor data.
    "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Re: What the hell does an AEB cam sensor really do?

as far as i know it just tells you that you car is effed and its time to get a new one.
    depends on the type of fueling and ignition system you have i know on mitsu's it plays an important role

Comment

when you went aeb head are you using the aeb cams ? or vvt cams .?
      sigpic

Comment

It's been AEB ever since it rolled off the assembly line.
        "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Comment

Working...
        X