Dammit, shift flare!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dammit, shift flare!

So I've been noticing a bit of odd behaviour from my car lately. If I made a full power shift I would feel a slight hesitation and almost like a 'blorp' sound. I figured it may have been a fueling issue or too much water/meth being injected.

Well, with the weather being cool I was looking forward to a few extra ponies. So I took off from my parents place on high boost settings. Got onto the highway on-ramp and punched it in 2nd. Imagine my surprise when the revs shot up 500-700 RPM during the 2-3 shift. Now when I say flare, I mean a quick flare. Almost like when you stab the accelerator at idle.

I dialed the boost back to 75% duty cycle and floored it from a stop and it shifted OK. Repeated at 80% DC and it shifted OK. However it seems to only do it when I'm at 85% DC. I'm wondering if I've just been on the threshold of what the trans can handle up until now and the extra juice from the cool weather was just too much for the clutches to hold during the shift. The good thing is that it isn't flaring in gear. Only during the transitions.

I'm going to check the trans fluid tomorrow just to make sure I'm not low. However I'm not holding my breath. I also want to see if it smells burnt. Hopefully if it's not, I can just dial the boost down until I can get the valve bodies done.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm trying to figure out if it could be something else non-transmission related. However the transmission is the key suspect unfortunately.

PS: Car is a 98 1.8T, tip trans w upgraded torque converter
    "Paranoia is just the eerie sensation of knowing you're right"

Re: Dammit, shift flare!

You better hope it's not the tranny those things are brutally expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by VWSM View Post
      You better hope it's not the tranny those things are brutally expensive.
      Trust me I know, I paid $4000 50,000 km ago to have it rebuilt once already. Then I paid another $1000-1200 to have the upgraded TC installed. If it's on it's way out I think it's time to dial the boost back and start looking for a rear ended manual 1.8T.

Comment

Well, I drained the fluid and it wasn't burnt. It was that kind of greyish brown. However I don't think it was much worse than my fluid after 25,000 KM when I changed it. I tried to pull the pan, however I stripped 2-3 of the bolts and didn't have any spares. However I'm pretty sure that I got the filter changed about 20,000 KM ago when I got the new TC.

Anyway, I put 4 quarts of D4 in it. Not my first choice, however it had to be better than putting old fluid back in. So it looks like I'll probably dial the boost back and drive her nice until I can get the parts together for the manual swap.

Comment

So I'm really confused now. I took it for a spin tonight to see if I could replicate the issue and it shifted fine. Bumped the boost to 80% DC and it never shifted better. Also, the trans fluid was 82C so the fluid was thinned. Still didn't act up, WTF?

I'm starting to think it may be a valve body issue. I spoke to Victor, the owner of the shop that rebuilt my trans the first time it blew up. I asked him if it's possible to burn/glaze a clutch pack without burning the fluid and he said no. So if the fluid wasn't burnt, it was shifting weird in 2-3 3-4 (all within 4-5 days), I can't help but think the valve body may be the culprit.

Comment

Working...
          X