How much trouble could i get into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much trouble could i get into?

Ive been swirling the idea around of buying an e30 for like $2000 TOPS, and working on it all myself... only problem is that i dont know much, but at the same time i figure whats the worst that could hapen? I'll lose a little money but learn a lot and have fun and if it isnt a total bust, have an ultra sweet winter car , and if it is a total bust i still have the e46.

sigpic

Re: How much trouble could i get into?

Is that M3 going for $2000? .. I say if you got the space, time and money to mess around with another car then go for it. I just hope you aren't planning on finding an E30 M3 for $2000 .. because you'll be looking for a long time. ... unless that one is .. in which case I think you should let me know where it is so I can pick it up
    Waterfest 08 Video: http://www.vimeo.com/2881467
    My BMW / VW / AUDI Video Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/dasauto

Comment

ummm, you're not going to find an e30 M3 for $2,000.

As far as resources go, the older car forums at Bimmerforums have been a great resource for me. I've been working on completing a major suspension overhaul on the coupe, and some of the advice has been very helpful.
      Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

I know I'm not gonna find an M for $2, I was just inspired by it and want an e30 now... The one in the pics is for sale but somewhere in the states. How different is a non m compared to an m? Body style wise. I might get either an e30 or a similar older Benz I just don't wanna get in over my head
        sigpic

Comment

as far as body goes, the E30 M3 does have the flared fenders, different trunk, different tail lights, and as you can see in the pics, the C Pillar sort of comes down and "attaches" to the trunk/spoiler area, thats not on the non-M's.

Otherwise i'm pretty sure there's suspension differences and obviously engine differences. The interior is slightly different(upholstery for sure, possibly seats, dash I think is the same)

Thats about as much as I know for possible differences, I haven't really looked into E30's in a lot of detail. Right now i'm an E36 guy, lol.
          Last edited by Polar36; 03-25-2009, 04:02 PM.
          - Alex

Comment

damn you pretty much listed everything i love about it haha
            sigpic

Comment

ps that m i posted pics of is for sale for $8-10k apparently :o
              sigpic

Comment

I love e30..Have you been to e30tech.com? good source of info and lots of wicked nice cars. Keep your eyes peeled in the buysell and you can get a 325 for 2gs or less.

ive got one. 89 325is. Its a nice car but its just sitting waiting for me to get some funds. PLus is in bc at my bro's places, so that doesnt help. haha. GL with the search man.
                James
                mk4 wagon

Comment

So driving past nait today on the way to get wings (mmmmm) i see an e30 ///m, just like the picture, and its this old guy driving! i was like fack, does anyone know who this guy is? i want.
                  Last edited by a_n9ne; 04-16-2009, 03:42 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

$8-10 k is pretty good for an M3 ... must be really high mileage or has something wrong with it because they usually go for way more than that .. if not then it would be an awesome pick up if you have the money for it.
                    Waterfest 08 Video: http://www.vimeo.com/2881467
                    My BMW / VW / AUDI Video Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/dasauto

Comment

Usually e30 M3 does go for more than that.

Only the M3 looks good, its way different from the regular e30

I wouldn't do it unless you want to drop another 5-10k on restoring the car... the thing about old cars is that if you're not restoring them, then they're busy falling apart.
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

hey,

this will be my 1st post...exciting.

i own an e30 and you can get into one pretty cheap,i've seen a couple in the city for a scant 500 bucks,if your a wrencher than it's a good deal.They get pricey real quick,a cat goes for 900 bucks,cap and rotor w/ wires about 250-300 bucks for reference.$2000 can get you an "eta" which is bmw's gas sipper e30 and the "i" models go up from there.

these are far cries from m models which i've seen fetch 30-40 grand.

Comment

quote from the thread on e46fanatics:
                          Originally posted by Navin323i
                          So I was getting my serpentine belt replaced, mechanical belt tensioner replaced with a hydraulic belt tensioner, alternator replaced, and ignition key lock cylinder replaced at my mechanic's shop when the following car pulled in...

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

1991 E30 M3 with diamond black exterior and gray interior... 1991 was the first year that the E30 M3 had a drivers side airbag (all years before that had no airbags)... car has 150k miles

I spoke to the owner who happens to be my mechanic's business partner and his wife wants him to sell the car so when I asked him how much he'd sell it for he was saying $8k to 10k maybe, and I can tell you I was SERIOUSLY tempted to buy the car until the door opened in the mechanic's garage and I could see my 323i on the lift... then right away I realized my 323i is the only BMW for me. That, and also my mechanic told me later that he plans on buying the M3 from his business partner so the car is practically sold to him, LOL.

Beautiful car, nonetheless. :thumbsup:
                          sigpic

Comment

I might get either an e30 or a similar older Benz
                            If you don't go with the e30 you should totally get a 190e. Those cars are awesome if the are not auto.
                            Levi.W
                            78 BMW 635CSi - Project
                            91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Geschwindigkeit View Post
                              If you don't go with the e30 you should totally get a 190e. Those cars are awesome if the are not auto.
                              VERY good idea 190e and sti are the only cars i'd rock 2 foot spoilers on
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X