Lightest TIre ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightest TIre ??

Does anyone know what company if any makes a very high performance tire that is light as "F"
    12 VW Golf
    09 BMW 135i
    07 MKV GTI
    03 Jetta GLI
    01 Jetta GLS
    90 Jetta GL

Re: Lightest TIre ??

Originally posted by Freddy View Post
    Does anyone know what company if any makes a very high performance tire that is light as "F"
    It will only be like 1 pound difference and its not worth it to lose grip or quality? Grip contributes to speed too!

That being said...

Tire Rack used to publish tire weights, check out their website.

Edit: I confirmed it, you can go into SPECS for a tire and see the weights for each size.

Its gonna take you hours to go through every tire they sell, but if you want to...
    Last edited by Kor; 02-26-2009, 10:01 PM.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

If I knew the size and what class of tire you want and whether price was any object, I could probably narrow it down for ya.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
        If I knew the size and what class of tire you want and whether price was any object, I could probably narrow it down for ya.
        KOR

Im looking for new rubber for my 135.

225/40/18 front
        255/35/18 rear

full out summer high performance, Price i would like to keep it round 1K ish. But when it comes to a better tire i don't mind paying a bit more.
        I just want something with very good handing, Very Grippy, and if possible not crazy tire noise. Also if i can save a few pounds with out loosing performance in any way, Why not..

There are so many tires I don't know what to get.

PS this car will not be for the Track..Street only..
        Last edited by Speed Cat; 02-27-2009, 12:12 AM.
        12 VW Golf
        09 BMW 135i
        07 MKV GTI
        03 Jetta GLI
        01 Jetta GLS
        90 Jetta GL

Comment

My advice for you is to just go with a solid brand name tire, and if you plan to switch tires in the winter, go with a max/extreme/ultra high performance tire. You will be satisfied with the grip and performance I think.

Getting a solid brand name usually means a good product and also can help with resale, nobody wants to buy a used bmw with some generic asian tire brand on it.

You should be able to come in under your budget. If I was you I'd pick my top 3 tires then just look for a sale and get the one on sale.

Weight savings is probably not going to be that big of a deal, its going to range from something like 21-24 lb in the front and 23-27 in the back.

Anyway the lightest ones I saw in the Max Perf category were the Conti 3's and the Conti 2's. They are known for being a solid euro brand, very quiet and kind of a touring tire, but not for crazy performance. Conti is also a BMW OEM brand I think.

Otherwise the weights were pretty much tied for Goodyear F1, Yoko Advan Sport, Pirelli PZero, Michelin PS. They all probably have great performance. The Michelin's are probably out of your budget. The others are all in play.

I have owned a lot of Bridgestone and BFG tires because I have read good reviews of the grip and seen solid track tests in articles and reviews to back that up - but they all list as being heavier tires.

Note that the weights I am going by on Tire Rack might not be accurate.
          Last edited by Kor; 02-27-2009, 01:40 AM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Also something to consider, if you stretch the tire a little (buy a thinner tire) you will save weight.

If you have tires that are a little plump, you will gain weight.

Depends on what look you want...

Finally, Tire Rack doesn't carry all brands so I don't know the weight of say Falkens
            Last edited by Kor; 02-27-2009, 01:45 AM.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

The RE-01r are on clearout right now.... just dont have a great tread rating.

Comment

^^^Hard to pass up that deal though, even with the 180 treadwear rating they're a steal. I had to get myself a set.
                2002 996TT
                2011 S5
                2004 S4 Avant

Comment

PM'd you KOR
                  12 VW Golf
                  09 BMW 135i
                  07 MKV GTI
                  03 Jetta GLI
                  01 Jetta GLS
                  90 Jetta GL