Noisy power steering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy power steering?

In the winter i found that my power steering had a decent sized leak in it somewhere. I started to run some Lucas power steering fluid (that really thick pink ****) anyways it was a really cold day and i blew one of the power steering lines apart (overpressured im sure). The car was limped home, and luckily i was very close. When i got the hose fixed ( stealership wanted $250 for a damn hose, so i got it repaired by a hose place) i ended up having a hard time getting the air out of the lines, and i would lose power steering every now and then for about a week. Its been good since.

However something in the system is now pretty damn loud, it sounds like its struggling and almost whining. If i take the cap off the PS fluid reservoir its noisy, and the fluid is moving pretty violently. Question is did i damage the PS pump, or the Rack somehow? where the hell is this noise coming from?

Re: Noisy power steering?

That noise is the pump. Either it's damaged and wearing out, the fluid is low, or there is some foreign blockage in the line somewhere.
    Last edited by The_Jerbel; 08-05-2008, 10:51 AM.
    Jordan
    Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
    JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
    (403) 690-7135
    jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

fluid is good, I assumed it was the pump also. If the new hose they made up was slightly smaller diameter could it cause this?

Comment

Yup, I mentioned a foreign blockage in the lines, but really, anything that restricts fluid flow more than the stock lines would, will cause the pump to over-work and make noise.
        Jordan
        Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
        JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
        (403) 690-7135
        jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

Working...
        X