Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common S4 Problems? S4 Drivers Where Are You

My buddy is looking at buying an S4

He is looking at a number of examples under 20k in the city right now, or thinking of going to Vancouver to find one.

What should he be looking for in terms of common problems?
    What are the maintenance costs like, what do typical repairs cost?
    When are major services/belts/etc needed?

A few of them need a respray on the bumper or mirrors, this should be pretty straightforward yes? Can he swap an a4 bumper or mirrors if needed?

He basically drove one and fell in love with it, as I am sure did many of you guys.
    Last edited by Kor; 08-04-2008, 07:50 PM.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Re: Common S4 Problems? S4 Drivers Where Are You

Hi There , just noticed your inquiry about S4 issues and what to look for , well I'll say it all depends what his intentions are with the car , major modifyed or stock and you do all mods ? If you want a monster buy jordans the gerbal the car is clean and all rebuilt ,according to S4 buyers guide online they indicate buy 2001.5 & newer as many updates and turbo oil lines apparently are better . There is so much info online about S4 B5 , I just bought one from Calgary 2001 with CPO warranty and was considering to buy nogaro blue one at speedway in Victoria , I was fortunate to have indivdual look at it for me and let me tell you pics online can be very deceving . The big 3 history ,owners ,accidents ,as far as Im concerned are pretty important . Somebody told me there now admissable into Canada from us. I just saw one in Edmonton 60k on it looks clean KIJIJI .good luck irbaker@shaw.ca

Comment

I don't think he is planning on mods, I would say he wants a good looking quick daily driver with decent reliability. Probably would never do more than chip or something like that.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Where is ye Old MacKenzie ? There are clean stock S4s around ,alot of owners mod their cars as you may notice thats why I was drawn to the one I bought bone stock ,as far as A4 bumper goes not sure ,though I wouldnt see why not ,the Canadian S4 bumper does not have fog lites unless they have been added along the way also bigger vents possibly for intercoolers ? silver I find tends to be the common color.

Comment

Where is ye Old MacKenzie
          lol where indeed
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Tell him that I desperately need to sell my car and that he will end up paying a couple grand more for my car than he would for a stock S4. I'll also offer my services to maintain and modify it in the future for him should he so desire.

BTW, that common belief about the oil lines being "better" on '01.5 cars is completely unsupported and unsubstantiated by any real data or facts. In fact, I've seen the turbos blow with low mileage more on '01 and up cars than I have on '00 cars. Just a coincidence I'm sure, but interesting none-the-less.
            Jordan
            Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
            JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
            (403) 690-7135
            jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jerbel View Post
              Tell him that I desperately need to sell my car and that he will end up paying a couple grand more for my car than he would for a stock S4. I'll also offer my services to maintain and modify it in the future for him should he so desire.

BTW, that common belief about the oil lines being "better" on '01.5 cars is completely unsupported and unsubstantiated by any real data or facts. In fact, I've seen the turbos blow with low mileage more on '01 and up cars than I have on '00 cars. Just a coincidence I'm sure, but interesting none-the-less.

cut an oil line open and you'll see the difference.
              they took the plastic coating or teflon whatever it was out of it.

Comment

Oh I know there's a difference. It's just whether or not it's "better" is what I'm challenging.
                Jordan
                Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
                JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
                (403) 690-7135
                jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

i'd buy jordans or a b6. i dunno if i would want a b5 personally right now unless i wanted to mod the crap out of it and spend lots on it.. thats my 2C

Comment

kris.. for service depending on the year of course

but 00 to early 01's replace the F hose with a samco
                    replace the throttle body boot with a samco or APR bipipe kit
                    replace both DVs with new vag 710ns or forge,etc
                    change oil every 5-8k
                    bearings tend to go easily so those are about 250/wheel to fix with labour it seems
                    CV joints, tierods and control arms may need replacing depending on mileage

timing belt,water pump,etc should be done around 100k or so

maintenace cost is really dependant on the driver and shape of the car
                    alot of items can be replaced easy enough by tunedub or yourself kinda deal like axles or cv boots,etc
                    some stuff like say turbos then $$$$ but pray that doesn't happen

Comment

Good info Ryan, thanks.
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

hey kris here is a local one with some OZ wheels.. no idea whats with the 1st pic in the bunch ... this is a TIP tho.. better color than silver at least hahahahha

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...2&pgno=3&srt=1

Comment

There was a beautiful used one at Richview.. Black with Sports package.. and 59k! unfortunately it sold on saturday... my brother was actually looking at it.

Comment

If it's going to be a daily driver ... buy something else
                            2001 S4 - ASP Stage 3+

Comment

Automatic, I won't even pass that along :P
                              KR
                              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                              X