B5 S4 oil, filter, plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B5 S4 oil, filter, plugs

Alright, gonna bring car to Jordan for TB job.
    Will go pick up some parts.

Plugs 6x NGK BKR7E

Oil 2 large jugs of 5w40, probably M1.

Oil filter hmmm M1 filter or Amsoil???

Air filter hmmm go to Stealership and get OEM?

Would those be your choices for B5 S4? What else would I need? 6 pack of Hoegarden for Jordan and fiance?

Also, any preference when it comes to NAPA, AutoValue, Part Source or CTire?

Re: B5 S4 oil, filter, plugs

Plugs go with the NGK BKR7Es if your chipped.. i'm rocking the 6Es right now and they work great but next time i'll use 7Es

Oil.. Castrol Syntec 5W40 only! factory fill oil! (i get free castrol for life muahahahahah so i use it but i would regardless of free/paid)

oil filter.. go to a VW dealer and ask for a oil filter for a 2001 passat 2.8 V6.. same filter.. OEM filters only please! 18 bucks from VW.. if you go to audi its like 33!!! i always do this

air filter.. same deal go to the dealer and buy it from them you can rock a K&N but its not going to do much

you should probably replace your cabin filter at the same time as this should be done every year.. dealer for this guy too.. i tried crappy tire and they didnt have it
    Last edited by R_Ethug; 07-27-2008, 03:11 PM.

Comment

x2 on the plugs and OEM filters. They've been proven and work exceptionally well and don't cost a lot.

As for the oil, stay well away from M1 garbage and that Castrol Syntec... ugh.

Check this thread I posted at AZ to see how I narrowed it down, but Cole's Notes version is: M1 is not a true synthetic anymore, and the properties of Castrol Syntec don't measure up compared to high quality synthetics like ELF/Total or Motul. I run ELF Excellium DiD 5w40 or the equivalent Total (they're rebranding ELF --> Total), Quartz Energy9000 5w40. George has the ELF at an excellent price, IIRC.

Just my two cents.
      Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
      Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

Everything sounds good. I would get Castrol syntec, but there are better (and more expensive) options. I would also ONLY get OEM oil filters. Stay away from K&N air filters.
        Oh, and my fiance and I don't drink, so you can save a few $$$ there. haha
        Jordan
        Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
        JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
        (403) 690-7135
        jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

tactic put your name in your sig so i know who i'm talking to

on the subject of castrol syntec its not garbage!! why is it factory fill in VAG, BMW porsche,etc then??

Comment

Ryan, not to be crass, but think it through. It's what's cheapest for a mass scale. Why was Audi replacing so many engines? Obviously the grossly inflated OCIs intended to appease environmentalists. However, they were all using Castrol Syntec from the dealerships.

F1 and WRC teams use high quality synthetics and neither Castrol Syntec nor Mobil1 are on that list.

Furthermore, ELF/Total is not exactly expensive... about $35 for 5L. IIRC, that's about what M1 costs at Crappy Tire.

I use it because in -40C without being plugged in my car has no troubles cranking over. Also, it quieted down my valvetrain's chatter. Not to mention that I don't worry so much if I go a tad over 5,000 km on the oil change.

My name's Dustin, btw.
            Last edited by PRY4SNO; 07-28-2008, 05:49 PM.

Comment

My car doesn't even have a block heater if that gives you an idea of how well Castrol syntec 5W40 does in the winter.

No valve train noise here either.
              Last edited by The_Jerbel; 07-28-2008, 05:53 PM.
              Jordan
              Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
              JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
              (403) 690-7135
              jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

yep i started mine in -40 parked outside started first go

dustin i'm pro castrol because my family owns castrol LOL!

Comment

Fair enough but I didn't get my car new, it had over 100,000 km on it so I needed to do something. Have yet to Seafoam but the switch to a high-end full synthetic helped a lot.

I'm pro ELF because it's available at places other than Tunerworks and cheaper than Shell Helix.

I'm a Ferrari fan but it doesn't injure my pride to use the Renault oil... at least when the high end Helix costs about $90/L.

All I can say is review the data sheets and do a cost analysis to determine what's worth your money. And if you're really anal do an oil analysis.
                  Last edited by PRY4SNO; 07-28-2008, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                    yep i started mine in -40 parked outside started first go

dustin i'm pro castrol because my family owns castrol LOL!
                    Then quite being so cheap and hook us up!! ha ha

Comment

lol mark yea i just have to call my calgary sales guy and i go to partssource and they hand me a box of oil hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                        lol mark yea i just have to call my calgary sales guy and i go to partssource and they hand me a box of oil hahahaha

So really.. two boxes wouldnt be out of the question!!

Comment

Working...
                        X