Clutch on a TT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch on a TT?

So.. I just moved from Winnipeg to Victoria, BC this past weekend. While driving through the mountains my car started sounding horribly rough and running like a diesel tractor. Kept driving and finally came to Victoria and took it to the dealer, they said the clutch is toast.

Thing is... they quoted me $2700 for a clutch replacement including labour. That's horribly funny. I checked ECS tuning and genuinevwaudiparts and the clutch/pressure plate is going to cost me $330sh USD because its a standard 6speed 02M clutch (same as 337/R32).

Anyone know how much I should be expecting for labour if I take it somewhere else? Anyone done these before? I'm really wondering why they want to charge me 3 thousand bucks for this crap??
    Simon

Re: Clutch on a TT?

Because the stealership is so called for a reason...

I would expect to pay around $1500 including parts.
    Last edited by The_Jerbel; 06-30-2008, 09:10 PM.
    Jordan
    Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
    JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
    (403) 690-7135
    jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

simon congrats homie.. your closer again! what'd you move for work?

i'd saw there should be lots of shops around you to go to like kenetic,etc

Comment

Yeah Ryan am a little closer, and yeah moved for work.

As for the clutch, called the dealer and they are quoting $1700 for parts (clutch, pressureplate, flywheel, throw out bearings) and $1000 for labour/taxes.

I know on ECS tuning I can buy OEM parts for probably $900 total, but the only other option they have is the stage3 clutch for $500 more and I really don't want a stage3 clutch. Anyone know where else I can get a stage1/2 clutch for TT/337/20th AE's? thx
        Simon

Comment

coulnd't you do the VR6 clutch?? i'm not 100% on the TT especially the 225'er could have too much HP for it

Comment

For what its worth, I ended up going with OEM replacement stuff from MJM Autohaus for a pretty good price.
            Simon

Comment

Hmmm

A little late but George (TuneDub) charged me $1,100 for an OEM clutch replacement including labour.

Hope you got a similar deal. What shop did you get to perform the work?
              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

Candy White 2010 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI 6 speed /// #farmenwagen
              Indigo Pearl Effect 1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
              Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Comment

I'm in victoria right now and every shop I talk to is asking ~$1000 in labour alone for clutch/flywheel install, still waiting on parts to arrive in the mail though. :(
                Simon

Comment

Ouch.

I'm going to ask around on AZ and see if we can't fix that for you.

Comment

Not in Victoria, but give these guys a call for reference and/or referrals if you're not willing/able to hop on a ferry.

RPI Equipped
                    604-944-0494
                    Unit 325 - 5930 No. 6 Road, Richmond, BC V6V 1Z1
                    Website

PG Permormance
                    604-585-8558
                    1-888-806-7978
                    10845-148th Street, Surrey, BC, V3R 3Y2
                    Website

I'll still ask around see if any locals in Victoria know of a better solution and post up here in a day or two.

Comment

Okay,

MCHammered aka Winston@podi .ca has been graceful enough to obtain a quote from his tuner for you.

Blitzkrieg can do the job. The quoted 8 hours to do it so approx $640.
                      Hope this helps, and more to follow as the quotes come in:

Blitzkrieg Autowerks - 604-253-6586
                      1672 Franklin Street, Vancouver, BC V5L 1P4
                      Website

Cheers!
                      Last edited by PRY4SNO; 07-05-2008, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Well, another recommendation rolled in... so I pass it on to you:

I've had work done by Otto at

Esplanade Auto House - 604-980-7413
                        245 1st Street East, North Vancouver, BC V7L 1B4
                        Courtesy of 'a4audi4fun' on Audizine.
                        Last edited by PRY4SNO; 07-05-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Hey thanks for all the great shop referrals thats awesome. Unfortunately I can't trust the car to move, I was attempting to bring it home from the dealership after refusing to pay $3000 and the car stopped going into gear. Ended up having to start the car in first gear and then driving it home without the clutch. Not something I want to have to do on the ferry, nor long distances thats for sure.

I saw on dubberz.com (vanc vw forum) someone recommended Autospiel here in vic, so thats where the car is right now, he quoted me $880 or something for labour, horribly high unfortunately but still hundreds less than anywhere else, and he's letting me store the car in his parking lot until my parts arrive so that helps a bit too.
                          Simon

Comment

Hmmm. Have you looked into the cost of a flatbed vs. cost difference?

Just curious, otherwise it's nice to save $120... that should cover the couple bottles of fine booze you'll need to ease the pain of the assrape.

Comment

Takes 40 min to get to the ferry and then probably another hour from the ferry station on the mainland, so flatbedding will cost a small fortune. I'll just drink the poison I find under the sink to ease the pain.
                              Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X