R8 gets v12 TDI TT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R8 gets v12 TDI TT

Wow I really hope audi actually produces this car, performance would be incredible but I'm sure the sticker price would scare the s*** out of most just as easily. I want it!

When Audi announced last month that it would be bringing a "world first" and a "stunning concept car" to the 2008 Detroit Auto Show, rumors starting flying about possible versions of the R8 that could make an appearance. It was first thought that a convertible version of the R8 sports car would bow, then there was speculation about a naturally-aspirated V10 variation of the car. As it turns out, neither guess was correct.

Auto Motor und Sport broke Audi's embargo and has announced that the German automaker will bring a V12 TDI turbo-diesel version of the R8 to Detroit. No official word on output, but in the Q7 SUV, the V12 TDI engine produces 500 horsepower and 738 lb-ft of torque.

Earlier reports suggested that Audi would equip the R8 with a diesel engine for the 2009 model year, although Audi's TDI V8 was assumed to be the leading candidate.
    2002 996TT
    2011 S5
    2004 S4 Avant

Re: R8 gets v12 TDI TT

lol diesel in a supercar

Comment

that beginning of a new era me thinks...Lambo will be next in the new Gallardo
      Kyle
      2000 Audi S4

Comment

Originally posted by Smarty39 View Post
        that beginning of a new era me thinks...Lambo will be next in the new Gallardo
        i highly doubt that
        Team Highschool
        Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Which part? Supercars becoming diesels or Lambo having a diesel? I could see both happening. I'm not saying ALL exotics will go that way, but I think you'll see a few...and there have already been many rumours about a Lambo diesel...
          Kyle
          2000 Audi S4

Comment

i think its pretty cool actually.. other than seeing a crapload of black smoke pouring out the back

Comment

have you ever seen the 8.9 second diesel truck from banks ...no smoke
              sigpic

Comment

really?? so the 1.9TDIs are the only ones lol? barts car smokes like chong

Comment

Diesels really depend on the injection system. Most diesel cars use the throttle (gas pedal) to control the amount of fuel being injected into the engine, not air like on a gas car. If you give the car too much throttle then the fuel mixture will be rich and you'll smoke like a banshee!
                  Jordan
                  Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
                  JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
                  (403) 690-7135
                  jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

With all the new diesel tech. for today's new generations of diesel cars, such as ultra low sulphur content diesel finally making it's way over to N.A., coupled with vastly improved emissions control systems in the new diesels belching black smoke is going to be a thing of the past. Other new tech. such as improved exhaust gas recirc. systems and ultra high fuel pressures in the injection system to allow a finer vaporization of the fuel for a cleaner burn, is really going to make diesel cars the way of the future I believe, or at least for the time being until alternate fuel source tech. improves. (Which will not be too far into the future.) As Kyle states I also think this car will be ushering in a new era for sports cars. A gorgeous 2-seater with AWD, 500hp and over 730lbs. of god fearing thrust that is 2-3 times more fuel-efficient than it's competitors where do I sign up? oh and if those perf. numbers get tiring you can always just crank up the boost. Oooooh mama! Just thinking about this car gets me harder than final jeopardy. If it's coming to the detroit show I certainly hope that means we'll get it over here, I'm sold, time to start saving.
                    2002 996TT
                    2011 S5
                    2004 S4 Avant

Comment

ahhh okay.. hey bart time to redo your ecu and engine lol

Comment

Originally posted by Smarty39 View Post
                        Which part? Supercars becoming diesels or Lambo having a diesel? I could see both happening. I'm not saying ALL exotics will go that way, but I think you'll see a few...and there have already been many rumours about a Lambo diesel...
                        My comment was in regards to Lambo doing it before Audi. Given the success of the R10 TDI under the Audi badge and all the press it has brought about i can see it being a very easy decision to put this engine if it is made into an Audi.
                        Also Lambo drivers are stuck up yuppies. You wont find a Lambo owner bitching about fuel economy or gas prices, so gas burning isn't really a concern to them. What is a concern to them is status and image. And until the new technology has been proven and shown to work, they wont want to be seen driving a smell old diesel.
                        They know big engine, big bore works, and will continue to stick with it until something better comes along.

I think for VAG, having both Audi and Lambo under it's umbrella, it would make more sense for both areas of the company if Audi gets first crack at a diesel supercar.
                        The R8 is already pushing dangerously close if they put the bigger engine into it, to cannablilizing the sales of the lambo gallardo, doing it the way outlined above will allow both sales to remain strong.
                        Team Highschool
                        Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I don't think I ever said that Lambo would do it first? But yes, you are right about their owners not caring about fuel consumption...just stating that I think you'll see more diesel "exotics" for more than just fuel cost reasons.
                          Kyle
                          2000 Audi S4

Comment

2008 Audi RS4
                            2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

sick

Comment

Working...
                              X