S4 Heater Core Swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S4 Heater Core Swap...

So, after 12+ hours of dicking around, I finally have the S4 back together. I have mentioned it to a few people on here already, but THIS JOB SUCKS BALLS! It's not hard or complicated (other than remebering where each wire goes), it just many small tasks which end up taking a VERY long time.

I think the service book says 10 hours to complete this job, which I'm sure I could have achieved if it wasn't my first time. I had a very incomplete guide that I followed, but basically threw it out the window half way through.

Other than getting the AC purged (which IS required), all of the work was done in my not-so-warm garage. If anyone ever needs to do this, let me know...as I took a million pictures and could throw together a fairly detailed write up if needed.

Anyway...here are a few pics to give you an idea of just how much of a headache it was...

Starting to take things apart...

Dash cover off, exposing the MESS of wiring...

Heater core FINALLY exposed...as you can see, there is absolutely nothing left from the dash. Every bracket, frame, screw, etc. has been removed

All of the parts that need to be taken out...
    Kyle
    2000 Audi S4

Re: S4 Heater Core Swap...

Whoa! and they say turbos are hard to get at in those cars.

you would think companies would make it a little easier to get to something like a heater core, I mean it's not that uncommon to hear about needing to replace them on any car.
    Jay

Comment

kyle i didn't know you had the sport trim??

DUDE that is seriously ALOT of work holy god.. i think i would have almost just given it george!

although with your dash fully out dude you could wrap it in alcantara if you wanted

so in the end you replaced all the black ducting inside??

Comment

Nice work Kyle. Definately a task I hope I never have to come across and make sure you get all the screws back or the rattling will drive a man crazy.
        2002 996TT
        2011 S5
        2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
          DUDE that is seriously ALOT of work holy god.. i think i would have almost just given it george!
          ...so in the end you replaced all the black ducting inside??
          I thought about giving it to George, but in the end it saved me ~$1000!
          Nope, just the stupid core itself (in the second last pic you can see it at the very top of the HVAC box...the thing with two lines coming out of it)

Originally posted by The Brice
          make sure you get all the screws back or the rattling will drive a man crazy.
          You're telling me...I actually have a crazy rattle right now, but it's just the glove box...I guess I'll be taking that out again this weekend
          Last edited by Smarty39; 11-21-2007, 12:14 PM.
          Kyle
          2000 Audi S4

Comment

nice work kyle, i would've given up at the first picture and booked a time with george!
            ~Lenny

Nogaro blue!!!

Comment

Working...
            X