BMW Diesels Coming!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Diesels Coming!!

BMW has announced that it will bring its 3.0L twin-turbo diesel engine to the U.S. The engine — which features variable twin-turbo technology — is currently available in many of BMW's European vehicles. BMW recently previewed the engine in its 3, 5 and 6-series cars, although the automaker has yet to confirm which models will get the diesel and how much the diesel option will cost.

According to the editor of Roundel, Satch Carlson, the 3 and 5-series are the most likely candidates to receive the diesel option.

In Europe, the 335d produces 286 horsepower and 427 lb-ft of torque, while still achieving a combined cycle of 35 mpg. In comparison, a 335i produces 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque with a combined cycle of 20 mpg.

BMW failed to give a time frame for a U.S. diesel introduction, although it is believed the diesel will bow in the latter part of next year.

According to Wards Auto, diesels account for 67% of BMW's European sales.

Chipped 335d please!!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: BMW Diesels Coming!!

holy god thats alot of torque!

Comment

A 135d would be sick

The tuning potential would be enormous
      Tint sucks

Comment

of course because of the torque, they will be auto only :(
        EU Tuning
        European Performance Products
        www.eutuning.ca
        slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

i thought NA's poorly refined diesel fuel is too problematic for the euro diesel engines. Anywho that is one sweet sounding powerplant.
          2002 996TT
          2011 S5
          2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by The Brice View Post
            i thought NA's poorly refined diesel fuel is too problematic for the euro diesel engines. Anywho that is one sweet sounding powerplant.
            That shouldn't be an issue anymore, at least it shouldn't be as big of an issue.
            Jay

Comment

Originally posted by The Brice View Post
              i really think thats BS now, i slightly believed it a while ago. you can get crappy diesel in europe too. lots of shady gas stations in poland where they'll add in a litre or two of water to make a couple bucks, but they still run! here you have to go to the big boys to be sure, such as BP, Statoil, etc.

there was no point in introducing diesels in NA, because:

-gas is still really cheap compared to europe, diesel sometimes more expensive than gasoline
              -training all mechanics, making parts available, etc etc the logistics side for car makers probably high cost initially
              -poor fuel like you said, but everywhere, making it hard to pass emissions in all 50 states
              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

my pops just picked up a MB ml320cdi to replace his truck with..too bad the X5 diesels werent out yet :(

edit: it doesnt mention the x series but why the hell wouldnt they? 280hp and 420 tq would certianly move the SUV well enough
                Last edited by James; 10-03-2007, 05:58 PM.
                REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                -james

Comment

ahh didn't snag the q7? ahh well.. nice ride either way

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                    ahh didn't snag the q7? ahh well.. nice ride either way
                    Dash on the q7 and the 'reg were too high for my moms hahah. She felt uncomfortable
                    REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                    -james

Comment

Latest time frame for BMW diesels...

Earlier reports of when BMW would bring its diesel-powered 335d sedan and X5 35d SUV were close, but not entirely accurate. The latest news have the advanced oil-burners coming to North American showrooms sometime in November, albeit in limited numbers.

The 335d will wear the skin of the updated 3-series, and be labeled as 2009 model year. Production of the 335d will begin in September, although it will not be at full capacity, meaning the cars will be scarce until early in 2009 at the earliest, according to Kicking Tires.

The X5 35d, powered by the same 3.0-liter twin turbo inline-six diesel, will also come to dealers in November, although likely slightly later than the sedan. Both cars will make their debut in production form at the Los Angeles auto show in November.

The engine makes 265horsepower and 425lb-ft of torque at just 1,750rpm. BMW claims a 0-62mph time of 6.2 seconds and EPA fuel economy of 23mpg city and 33mpg on the highway.
                      Blair
                      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by bart View Post
                        i really think thats BS now, i slightly believed it a while ago. you can get crappy diesel in europe too. lots of shady gas stations in poland where they'll add in a litre or two of water to make a couple bucks, but they still run! here you have to go to the big boys to be sure, such as BP, Statoil, etc.

there was no point in introducing diesels in NA, because:

-gas is still really cheap compared to europe, diesel sometimes more expensive than gasoline
                        -training all mechanics, making parts available, etc etc the logistics side for car makers probably high cost initially
                        -poor fuel like you said, but everywhere, making it hard to pass emissions in all 50 states
                        Nope, it was because we just finally adopted ultra low sulfur diesel in North America (the deadline was MY 2007, which is why VW sold 2006 TDI's for 2 years and no 2007 TDI's). All of the new emissions controls are fouled by high sulfur diesel, so our diesel engines had to be independently developed from EU diesel engines, and since diesel isn't nearly as popular here, it wasn't really worth it for them. Now that we have ULSD, they can just throw the EU spec engines in NA cars, hence us getting lots of new diesel models now.

Comment

Working...
                        X