Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4 Coming????

Some new rumors.....

Porsche has reached an agreement to join forces with fellow German Audi to develop the next-generation mid-engined Cayman and Boxster. Audi will get its own version called R4, an entry-level mid-engined coupe and roadster. While rumors about an R4 broke months ago, its connection to the next-gen Boxster was not known.

According to Car, Audi intends to have a full line of R-model cars: starting at the top with an R10 supercar, based on the Le Mans-winning TDI diesel supercar; the R8 (including a convertible variant of the next generation model); an R6 priced, powered and sized between Porsche's 991 and Cayman/Boxster; and the aforementioned entry-level R4.

The next-generation Cayman and Boxster are known internally as Project 981 and they are due in 2010 or 2011. The Audi variants are expected to differ from the Porsches by offering forced-induction four- and five-cylinder engines with quattro four wheel drive. The Porsches will retain the current rear wheel drive and boxer six-cylinder engine configuration.

The two vehicles are not expected to share any styling elements, although they are likely to get the same dual-clutch DSG transmission and light weight aluminum space frames.

What the R4 means to Audi's freshly-redesigned TT coupe and convertible is uncertain. The TT is a front- or all-wheel drive sports car based on a much more mundane platform. The TT also keeps its motor in the front, not behind the seats. To an enthusiast, the two cars are night-and-day; but to the general buying public, the TT and R4 certainly look like internal competition.
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: R4 Coming????

interesting

Comment

I read that this is just wild speculation...
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

seems silly to have such a broad line up of vehicles, but i guess if they can sell them, go for it. However if having a larger line up of different vehicles means diminishing the accuracy of each model then I think the consumer might notice that. i wonder if that makes sence
        Dylan
        (Made from bits of real panther.)

Comment

Here's some more news on the R4.....

Like so many rumors in the automotive industry, speculation about an Audi R4 has been an on-again, off-again proposition. It was just yesterday we told you about new European media reports indicating the sub-R8 model was approved for production. Today, we thought it prudent to deliver an all-new illustration of how the car is expected to look when it arrives at dealerships in 2011.

According to Autoexpress, Audi has green-lighted its plans to produce an R4 model, months after it was supposedly put on hold by VW’s new Porsche overlords. The mid-engine R4 will slot above the TT but steer clear of the R8’s performance territory. The R4’s styling will also be highly reminiscent of the R8, including LED headlights, similar air intakes and the same overall body lines.

To spread the cost of the R4’s development, Porsche will use the car’s architecture as the foundation for the next-generation Porsche Cayman and Boxster. The next-gen Porshces will likely bow before the R4, with the Audi model hitting the market sometime in 2011.

It also remains possible that the R4/Boxster/Cayman projects will be closely related to Volkswagen’s upcoming roadster.

The base R4 model will likely be powered by Audi’s 2.0L turbocharged four, with the step-up model using the same five-cylinder powerplant that will see duty in the TT RS. A V6 and a diesel powerplant haven’t been completely ruled out. Power will be sent to all four wheels via either a six-speed manual gearbox or Audi’s S-tronic seven-speed dual-clutch semi automatic.

Autoexpressalso speculates that Audi is working on an R6 — echoing rumors first heard in July 2007. If the R6 does make production, look for it to compete with Jaguar’s upcoming E-Type replacement and lesser versions of Porsche’s 911.

2002 996TT
          2011 S5
          2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Another pic for those that can't get enough... and yes... I'd hit it!

Last edited by Deuce; 11-13-2008, 08:25 PM.
            Rob
            Daddy's "Hooligan" - MK4 R32 in Deep Blue Pearl
            Mommy's "Gran Turismo" - E70 X5M in Black Sapphire Metallic

GONE... BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Family "Muscle Car" - B7 RS4 in Misano Red - Dad's 20th Anniversary "Wanna-be R32" GTi

Comment

That thing is hot! It looks like the love child of an R8 and a TT. Mmm.
              Rob

Brilliant Black 2000 S4

Comment

they say it will steer clear of the r8 performance ? the tt rs is already below the r8 numbers what do they think a midship car will do with the same engine . it will be quicker than the r8 for way less moneys . i dont think this is a good thing for the r8 unless they up the power of it by a lot ................ and i would hit it
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                  they say it will steer clear of the r8 performance ? the tt rs is already below the r8 numbers what do they think a midship car will do with the same engine . it will be quicker than the r8 for way less moneys . i dont think this is a good thing for the r8 unless they up the power of it by a lot ................ and i would hit it
                  Aren't they currently stuffing the V-10 into the R8 and I've also heard recent rumors of the V12-TT Diesel coming back to the R8. If this is true I guess they must have figured out how to keep the thing from spontaneously combusting. If it does come to production I think I'd crap myself.
                  2002 996TT
                  2011 S5
                  2004 S4 Avant

Comment

The V10 has been testing and the TDI is back in the rumor mill again too so I would expect an R10 or something at some point but probably be looking at 200K+ prices.

The R4 will probably be close to the next gen Cayman/Boxster platform and I would expect that will be the target car. There is also rumors of a turbo 4 Boxster next time around too!
                    Blair
                    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

WOW That car is sick....
                      12 VW Golf
                      09 BMW 135i
                      07 MKV GTI
                      03 Jetta GLI
                      01 Jetta GLS
                      90 Jetta GL

Comment

dare i make the comment?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a_n9ne View Post
                          dare i make the comment?

...I guess. They're both red (haha)

I see some similarities in the headlights, and the trapezoidal grille, but mitsubishi stole that from Audi in the first place. Can we really condemn Audi for a continuation of their own familiar branding??
                          Starting from Square One...

Comment

you may make a comparison yes . but you always need to flame the copy not the original artist .
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X