BMW 1 Series Coupe Official For North America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BMW 1 Series Coupe Official For North America

BMW has revealed its 1-Series Convertible, which is headed to European and North America dealerships in 2008. The car will go on sale alongside the recently unveiled 1-Series Coupe.
    The 128i Convertible will be powered by BMW's 3.0-liter, 230 horsepower inline six-cylinder engine generating 200 lb-ft of torque. Both the coupe and convertible will be available in spring 2008.
    Like its fixed-roof stablemate, the 128i Convertible will feature Valvetronic valvetrain management and aluminum/magnesium cylinder block construction-core elements of BMW's EfficientDynamics.
    The 135i Convertible, on sale later in 2008, features BMW's twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine producing 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque from as low as 1,400 rpm.
    With its direct piezo gasoline injectors, twin low-mass turbochargers and air-to-air intercooling, the 135i Coupe accelerates to 62 mph in 5.3 seconds. while the Convertible takes 5.6 seconds. Both engines feature on-demand engine coolant pumps that improve fuel economy and reduce parasitic losses for increased output.
    On the outside
    The 1-series Coupe sports a vaguely 2002-inspired shape, including the characteristic “Hofmeister kink” in the c-pillar. The M Aerodynamic bodykit will be standard on the 135i. On all models, the trunk lid includes an integrated spoiler. The 135i will include an additional lip spoiler for high speed rear downforce.
    The L-shaped rear taillights include LEDs with Adaptive Brakelights, which operate in two stages in relation to brake application force.
    Up front, Adaptive Xenon headlights will be optional on the 128i and standard on the 135i. They’ll also include integrated cornering lights and daytime running lights with two corona rings on each headlight unit, just like in other BMWs.
    Step inside
    First things first: BMW’s controversial iDrive system will come only with the optional navigation system. The rest of the interior follows BMW tradition and will include galvanized pearl gloss surfaces on the interior door handles, glove compartment handle, the radio’s rotary knobs, the knobs of the automatic air conditioning system, the (optional) iDrive controller and the ornamental trim strips on the steering wheel.
    Leatherette will be standard on all models with Boston Leather as an option. The Sport Package, a BMW staple, will include sport seats with enhanced bolsters. A 60/40 split-folding rear seat is standard.
    The latest version of iDrive is equipped with six Programmable Memory Keys that allow the driver to program functions that are used particularly often such as navigation destinations, radio stations or specific telephone numbers. Touch-sensative sensors on these buttons preview the function on the iDrive screen before the button is depressed.
    The 1-Series should set some segment benchmarks with regards to the audio and entertainment system. Available and standard equipment will include: Sirius satellite radio, HD radio, a premium sound system and Bluetooth interface. For simple and straightforward connection of an MP3 player, an auxiliary input jack is standard, and a USB port for direct control of an Apple iPod or iPhone media player is available as an option.
    Six airbags come standard, including dual front airbags, side airbags integrated into the seats and side curtain airbags in the roof lining.
    Underneath
    The rear wheel drive 1-Series Coupe has a sophisticated suspension system with an aluminium double-pivot front suspension and a five-link fully independent rear suspension in lightweight steel. Like all RWD BMWs, the 1 Series features 50/50 weight distribution. BMW’s Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) also includes a Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) function that provides electronic intervention to prevent loss of vehicle control, but at a higher threshold before activation. Both DSC and DTC can be disabled entirely. The DSC system on the 135i Coupe is designed specifically for performance-oriented driving. For instance, the accelerator pedal has a quicker response rate and electronic rear brake management is used to simulate a differential lock for stronger acceleration in turns. BMW hasn’t made any mention of a conventional limited slip differential. The rear differential features double-helical ball bearings for the first time, which reduces the amount of fluid required in the differential and reduces operating temperatures. Active Steering, a variable ratio steering system exclusive to BMW, will be optional.
    The double-pivot spring and strut front suspension is made largely of aluminum.
    M-inspired performance for the 135i
    The 135i Coupe is no M1, but it includes a fair amount of M inspiration, including an aero kit designed to reduce downforce and increase brake cooling. A sports suspension is standard and includes 18” wheels, performance tires, a high-performance brake system with six-piston fixed calipers on the front and two-piston fixed calipers at the rear.

2002 996TT
    2011 S5
    2004 S4 Avant

Comment

Not so attractive in beige
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
        Yummy!!

i really like that!
        2002 VW Golf GT TDI
        2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Do Want.

Comment

Holy sex!! Thats things hot
            -Drew
            2001 "BORA" GLS 1.8T
            1990 Lincoln Continental

Comment

I went to try the new 335i to see what all the hype was about. After taking the car for about 45min i was happy to get into my own GTI. "I never thought i would ever say that"

I found the car not very playfull and just felt like a touring car instead of the ultimate driving machine.

Power was ok, but i thnk my GTI is faster or at least very very close. It just felt unresponsive, and to many dodads.

But that being said, i think the 135 will be a sick car. its smaller, less toys that no one wants, nice power plan, and im hoping a nice price.

That car chipped will be a very deadly weapon, I cant wait to see it.
              12 VW Golf
              09 BMW 135i
              07 MKV GTI
              03 Jetta GLI
              01 Jetta GLS
              90 Jetta GL

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9rFQPg0kbk

1 series vs R32
                12 VW Golf
                09 BMW 135i
                07 MKV GTI
                03 Jetta GLI
                01 Jetta GLS
                90 Jetta GL

Comment

Enjoyed that Top Gear. Thx
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I can't wait to see a 135 in person. Hopefully it doesn't dissapoint. If I like what I see, im gonna wait for its 2nd year of production (so they can work out the bugs) and ditch the 20thAE. By then, I assume the aftermarket world would have quite the selection of parts available for this thing.

ps. I wouldnt buy this car for its rear seat comfort/space, I would buy it for the rear wheel drive, 50/50 weight ratio, and its 300hp and 300tq engine.
                    Tint sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Duby T View Post
                      I can't wait to see a 135 in person. Hopefully it doesn't dissapoint. If I like what I see, im gonna wait for its 2nd year of production (so they can work out the bugs) and ditch the 20thAE. By then, I assume the aftermarket world would have quite the selection of parts available for this thing.

ps. I wouldnt buy this car for its rear seat comfort/space, I would buy it for the rear wheel drive, 50/50 weight ratio, and its 300hp and 300tq engine.
                      I dunno if I would assume that the aftermarket will be huge...

I agree with your reasoning to wait for year 2. Prices often are adjusted as well and you will save some dough.

I'd like to move on to a TT or 135 as my next car but not on their first year(s).
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Have these been out in europe for a while already or is it a global launch?
                        Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by Kordain View Post
                          Have these been out in europe for a while already or is it a global launch?
                          Pretty sure the 1 series has been in Europe for a couple years but nobody has the 128 or 135 yet.
                          2002 996TT
                          2011 S5
                          2004 S4 Avant

Comment

I would buy it for the rear wheel drive, 50/50 weight ratio, and its 300hp and 300tq engine. [/QUOTE]

This might be my next car too. The time the sesond run comes up my lease will be up on the GTI.

Even with a chip and maby a TBE that car could kick some serious A S S
                            12 VW Golf
                            09 BMW 135i
                            07 MKV GTI
                            03 Jetta GLI
                            01 Jetta GLS
                            90 Jetta GL

Comment

http://www.335ishop.com/335i/Active-...i-07-p-45.html

380hp and 385 foot pounds with just a chip.

In a car that size you might be smoken E90 M3's

LOLOLOL I would love that.
                              12 VW Golf
                              09 BMW 135i
                              07 MKV GTI
                              03 Jetta GLI
                              01 Jetta GLS
                              90 Jetta GL

Comment

mama!
                                Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Working...
                                X