BMW 1 Series Coupe Official For North America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BMW 1 Series Coupe Official For North America

I think this will be my new car, I'm going to look into this pretty heavily when they come out.
    06 Subaru STi
    Volvo tech

Comment

Yummy!!

Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

that is hot

Comment

Official weight is around 3200 lbs empty, 3400 lbs with gas and 75kg driver (so I've read).
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I've already called the dealership to get my name on a waiting list as soon as one becomes available. I'm all about this thing, fingers crossed i can get my hands on a 135 for aronud $40k (don't mind base since the base 135 includes the M Sport Package and xenons). But even a 128 wouldn't be bad, power wise even though its comparable to the GTI, I like that its RWD with a 50/50 weight ratio. And I just think its a damn sexy car.
            Road Runner
            Le Mans Blue BMW 135i- M sport Package

Comment

bmw .ca has a press release listed on the right side. looks nice

Comment

ha it says 0-60 in 5.3 and the 335 coupe is doing 5.6.. cheaper car goes faster. Should do an interesting number on sales.... I'd be guessing its going to be 45k. hell a hyundai veracruz costs 39k lmao

Comment

But a Vercruz can easily be mistaken for a Lexus

The 135i is a lot of car, so it will not be that cheap, but I guess it really comes down to how it is viewed in the eyes of people as far as status.
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                    But a Vercruz can easily be mistaken for a Lexus

The 135i is a lot of car, so it will not be that cheap, but I guess it really comes down to how it is viewed in the eyes of people as far as status.
                    Thats the kicker, I think the 135 will certainly be seen as an enthusiast's car, but will the 128, which will definetly have good performance numbers, be seen as a poor man's bimmer? North America seems to have this fixation on size as equivalent to status when it comes to cars. But really, as far as performance goes, these are more performance oriented than the 3 series (excluding the M3 obviously). The only reason these are cheaper is because they are smaller, but they are certainly not "cheaper" as far as quality and substance.

It'll just take a lot to convince the NA market that better performance doesn't always mean more $$$. In its most true form better performance means a faster engine in a lighter car. A $40k BMW that will go nose to nose with a Porsche Cayman S is definetly going to shake things up.
                    Road Runner

Comment

Originally posted by Road Runner View Post

It'll just take a lot to convince the NA market that better performance doesn't always mean more $$$. In its most true form better performance means a faster engine in a lighter car. A $40k BMW that will go nose to nose with a Porsche Cayman S is definetly going to shake things up.
                      I really don't see them undercutting a market like that. BMW has stated in the past the 3 series is more then a entry level car hence the 1 series however on that same token why would it make sense for them to offer a nice look car that goes fast and undercuts a 335? They won't want to destroy the sales of the 335 which cost a fair bit more. I guess where im going is if you want a performance bmw NOW a 335 is the way to go but when the 1 series comes out and you want performance a 135 well sweep the sales if it undercuts the price of 335 big tim.

Comment

Is there a hatchback version of it?

Comment

A Car and Driver UK article on the new 1 series with a bit of speculation on pricing in US Dollars...

http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img055vc1.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img056kj6.jpg
                          Road Runner

Comment

ha well that means its going to be pricey here. However if you don't think you need warranty on a first gen car then you might be in luck if you bring one up from the south. Its going to be such a bellybutton car. Everyones kid and wife well have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Road Runner View Post
                              A $40k BMW that will go nose to nose with a Porsche Cayman S is definetly going to shake things up.
                              I could make a '91 shadow go nose to nose with a cayman for like 75,000 less than the cayman costs, people with money will always drive the more expensive car because they can afford to, not so they can beat everything on the road :P
                              REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                              -james

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                                I could make a '91 shadow go nose to nose with a cayman for like 75,000 less than the cayman costs, people with money will always drive the more expensive car because they can afford to, not so they can beat everything on the road :P
                                Hey James, by that math, you owe me 20 grand plus a shadow that can beat me. I'm waiting!

Also they announced pricing in the UK for the 135:

"The one figure that stood out to us was £29,745. That's the price in pounds for the M-Sport equipped 135i.

Using some creative math, £29,745 is just under $60,000 U.S. at current exchange rates – far from what we'll pay when the 135i makes its way across the pond. For comparison, the 335i in the U.K. comes in at £31,550, or about $63,500 in U.S. dollars (again, at today's exchange rate). So if the base 335i here in the United States comes in at $38,900, then would it be safe to assume that the 135i should be under $35k."

Source: Autoblog
                                Last edited by Kor; 09-05-2007, 03:14 PM.
                                KR
                                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                                X