X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turbo M5!

Originally posted by Kor View Post
    Ridiculous is spelled with an i.

I don't feel like arguing but I have no idea how close to 50/50 the original weight distribution is on the car or how well this preserves it if at all, but I don't think it would actually matter all that much.

The battery box idea was just an idea which is why I said "or something" - basically the idea was to move things from under the hood elsewhere which is not such a dumb idea imo when planning a turbo.

The exhaust gasses will have lost a lot of energy by the time they reach the compressor and if you look at the bends there are so many of them and some are very awkward. I've been told its good to have a straight length of exhaust post hot side as well to help evacuate the turbulent air. The distance that the compressed air has to travel is far (more like volume of air needed is large) which is not going to be ideal either.

As I mentioned the turbos are exposed which is not entirely great in my mind, they will be hit by rocks or just whatever is under the car.

Build your BMW like this if you like it so much.

YES it works I will admit that, sure.

I am pretty sure nobody would do this unless they HAD to because of space restrictions though and even then I would try everything else first to fit things under the hood.
    blah blah blah..................what? sorry, i wasnt listening.

Originally posted by Duby T View Post
    Whether or not you think the turbo setup is effective, you gotta respect the work.

Since when did we start correcting spelling on a car forum?

What's next, the grammar police?
    no kidding, haha grammar police.

pablo for sheriff!!!!!!!
    Whether you can or you cant,
    you are right!

- Henry ford

Comment

On topic please!!

I think most BMWs have the battery in the trunk stock, but yes the design I am sure was done as there is no space at all up front.
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

i dunno if i like the alligator for the seats..

Comment

STS has been making remote turbo systems for a while now, and apparently are quite successful. I haven't been able to find it, but I know they have a few 9 and 10 second cars running these set-ups, so they can't be THAT bad.

http://www.ststurbo.com/
          Mike - 2011 A4 S-Line

Comment

that is the wierdest looking turbo set up i have ever seen
            sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
            His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
            Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
            Past:
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
            2004 .:R32 BMP
            2001.5 Noggy blue s4
            2000 VW GTI 1.8T
            1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              i dunno if i like the alligator for the seats..
              i was gonna say, looks like 80's pleather after 20 years lol. thumbsup for turbo idea, i have never seen that before, but their clamps are weaksauce
              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

ghetto.
                Tim
                "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Comment

sweet idea but those welds look a little sketchy...graeme?
                  I think its really cool to be honest, I mean sure its not the cleanest job but its probably the prototype vehicle...so its not going to be perfect first time around.

Kor...how do you know they didn't try to fit those two big turbo's under the hood already?
                  06 Subaru STi
                  Volvo tech

Comment

Oh maybe they did try to fit them under the hood and it might have been impossible, but almost nothing is impossible if you think about it enough. If its difficult to do then that would just make it all the more impressive if they did it!

I would have thought about trying to move anything under the hood that takes up space first, then thought about clever tricks like hiding things in front of the wheels in the fenders or maybe making some room in the firewall... hmm I am curious now to see the engine bay in person and maybe if I do I can have a bit more respect for this design.

Anyway not important, this works, but in theory anything will work as long as you push a couple psi of pressure. I was reading about the tuners who use a remote turbo setup on vettes and several commented very specifically that its even more important to have a straight path for the exhaust and in this setup there are like 3 90 degree turns so I am still unhappy.
                    Last edited by Kor; 03-22-2007, 04:00 PM.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

ahah i just noticed, look whos driving yo, probably the kid of that 'whistletips' guy lol, this is whistletips 2.0 AHAH woooooo woooooooooooooooooooo
                      Last edited by bart; 03-22-2007, 03:43 PM.
                      2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                      2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

looks like a ghetto setup, for all the money spent on the interior making it ballin' ass gator skin, they could have invested in some nice welds and a bit more effort instead of just clamping onto the factory exhaust system and calling it a day. having the turbo's after the cat and middle box just doesn't seem like the best idea considering by the time the exhaust actually reaches the turbo it's lost a ton of heat and velocity. Don't know a huge amount about forced induction but regardless that looks like ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Duby T View Post
                          Whether or not you think the turbo setup is effective, you gotta respect the work.

Since when did we start correcting spelling on a car forum?

What's next, the grammar police?
                          agreed! That car wouldn't be the only car with damage if you "drove over a stick".

Thumbs up for putting an idea into action.
                          Last edited by Coker Rat; 03-25-2007, 08:21 PM.
                          Dylan
                          (Made from bits of real panther.)

Comment

The Duct tape and gear clamps looks sketchy.

Comment

thats heat tape so shiz dont' light on fire.. check a 1.8T in the back and you'll see it too

Comment

that's not heat wrap.
                                Attached Files
                                Tim
                                "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Comment

Working...
                                X